Penn Surf Casting Rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Zebco 33, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Has anyone have any input, good or bad, on these? I'm able to get a 11', two piece, spinning rod for $95 OTD. It felt light and well built. At least compared to the other broom handle slabs of fiberglass they called surf rods!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat601986&hasJS=true

I'm looking for a good bank rod for Rend Lake and other larger lakes I go to. I was really wanting a casting outfit, but I seem to be getting the hand of the spinning outfit and feel comfortable with it. I plan of using 1-2 ounce weights floats or sinkers and 4/0 cirlce hooks with 25 pound quiliaty monoline. I like the littler channels, but this rig is going to be for flatheads!

So, is this a decent rod and setup?

Jerry

2. catBob

catBob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    ive never had nothing bad to say about penn but if it was me id go with a 11-12 foot ugly stick!! my current set up for bank fishing is 2 13foot breakaways with built chrome 6500 rockets with sufix 20lbs line if i could make 7000abus throw like my rockets i would have them insted!!! hold way more line good luck on what u buy it what make u happy that counts!!

3. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bob, if I could find an Ugly Stick around here that long I would get it! I'm limited to a few stores, and I like to feel and touch before buying.

The longest US I can find is a 7' M/H. Its what I want, just a little shorter than what I'm looking for. Still might get it later.

Jerry