Penn spinning reel

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Vonroc, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Can anyone offer any information on this reel - Roddy by Penn saltwater fishing reel 361 spinning. All of my reels are baitcasters, Abu,Okuma, Penn. I'm thinking of buying 1 of these spinning reel for around $30.00.Any help would be appreciated. This reel is a saltwater med/heavy action - 4:6:1 ratio,6 bearing -30lb/225 yards. Own one? Heard of it? Used one? Any good?

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya the Roddy is Penn lower line of reels, If I was u I would pass on it, and get something that is better.

3. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    :wink: I can't really tell you about that that particular reel but I own about a dozen Penn reels and can state that they give good service.
    The spinning reel I use mostly are Shimano and Okuma.
    One of my fishing buddies does use Penn spinning reels and I have neverknown them to give him any problems.
    While most of the fishing I do is in salt water, and Penn reels are built for the salt water environment, I don't believe a large catfish would provide
    any more stress for that reel than a good sized yellowtail.
    $30.00 seems to be a good price for any Penn spinner if it's in good condition, just give it a thorough cleaning and lube and it should give many years of service.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Standard price for the reel is around $55, but I'd go with a regular Penn, Daiwa, or Shimano instead.

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'd go spend the extra 20 or 30 bucks and just get what has always worked. I love penns. I found a penn 309 in the sand when the tides went down in LA. I don't know it had to have been there a least a few years . I was sludged up and wouldn't really even turn. But I soaked it in oil and cleaned it for about an hour and now it is on one of my favorite rods, not a problem in over a year. Now thats a good reel.

6. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Thanks for the help, the reel is brand new in box never used.I always used baitcasters, was just looking to add a new weapon to my arsenal.

Thanks