Penn Spinning Reel Question

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by holliswood, Jan 14, 2010.

1. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    Hello guys and gals. I'm in the market for a Penn spinning reel. I can't seem to get any real help from the folks at the local bait and tackle shop. Here goes:
    I'm looking for a Penn spinning reel to catfish with. I'd like to use 50 to 65 pound braided line. I'll mostly be using the "Carolina Rig" when fishing and using all kinds of different bait. I fish from shore/the bank and freshwaters only. Any models and series would be appreciated to! Thanks for all of ya'lls help!

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Any Penn spinning reel will handle any catfish, I have most the models accept the ones that came out this year and they all work flawlessly. The Slammers and the SSG series are my favorite though.

I would reccomend the 8500 SSG for the line you will be using. This model is not "braid ready" so just put about 15 yards of mono backing on before you spool the braid...........electrical/duct tape work to. If you have any ?'s feel free to private message me.

3. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    penn 650 with a penn slammer 7' mh 20-40 rod ..Good all around rod and reel ..you could get the 750 reel if you like...

4. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have 2 Penn Spinning Combos:

1. 10ft Penn Captiva 8000 Combo, with 65LB PP, i use 3-5oz weight, furthest casting combo I own and my biggest fish on it is a 62LB Bluecat from the bank

2. 9ft Penn Captiva 6000 Combo with 65LB PP, I use 3-5 oz weight, cast maybe 15 yds shorter, biggest fish is a 44LB Blue Cat from the bank

5. lou_a

lou_a Member

State:
    Texas
    50 - 65 Lb line is very stout..I think you could blow up the graphite body Penn spinners if you were not carefull. I'd go with the largest Penn Slammer (760) or SSm (950) reel which have metal bodies... The Slammer is alleged to be more braid friendly than the SSm. But the SSm is one big tough reel that has been around for awhile.

You can view Penns products/specs @ http://www.pennreels.com/

6. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    Any Penn Model above 650 will suite your wants, If you want a deal go toEbay and look up a Jarvis Walker Penn they are made by Penn for the australians who want a little umph for offshore jigging. they use a little heavier drag systems but are the same as the regular Penns I own 4 8500's and have never had a problem and they were about 70.00 cheaper, than a regular Penn.

7. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Look on Ebay for the older usa made Penn 9500,8500, or 7500 reels.They are the best Penns
    and plenty of parts around for them.These preceeded the new ssm series.