Penn Slammer

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Spider, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Anyone use a 7' Penn Slammer rod? I'm looking for comments on the quality of theserods as a flathead rod. I have one Ugly Tiger and ws looking at the Slammer as a second rod. I though it looked good but anted to see if anyone had any reasons why not to use one for flats.
    Thanks.

2. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    I just bought a 1piece 7ft Penn Persuit and the thing is sweet. Ran me about 45 bucks and I paired it with an Okuma Avenger BF50 not a bad rod for the price but if I could find a better cork handle rod in the area I wouldnt have bought it. The selection in the area stinks.

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I have a 7' Penn Mariner, I like the action better than the Slammer. I also have a Powerstick Plus, 6.5' and still like the Mariner, so I gave it to my daughter. Some claim the faster tip on the Slammer is needed for flatheads tho.

4. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Looked at two Slammers today at Cabela's. Was not impressed when i saw that both the 7 footers they had were missing the tip insert. That's not a good sign. I'll pass on the Penn. Maybe start considerig the Ugly Stick Bigwater.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have 25 white PENN SLAMMERS and trust me some have been in action over ten years and none have lost an insert.Rods in a store are handled by everyone that just wiggles them to test the action they get slammed into stuff thrown around etc.The 7ft is a stout rod that will handle anything you want to take on.Plus they are white or were so you can see them at night.Best cat fishing rod for the money in my estimation:big_smile:

6. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    These Slammer rods were not white, they were black and looked to be some sort of composite construction. The tip guide frame was really thin and I have no idea what the insert should have looked like. Both the 7 footers they had were on the rack with no insert. At any rate, I agree that things are handles by a lot of people but the inserts still should not have come out. But then, I've looked at a lot of their reels and many are missing the spool axle tension knobs. The Hamburg, PA Cabela's store at times reminds me of an Outdoors Wally World or Kmart with exspensive price tags.

7. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I was in the cave at a cabelas this summer and there were a ton of rods like that and I like a project but wasn't worth it $ wise.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The old white version was E-Glass but the new ones are some kind of composite.The new ones arent as good as the white ones which is why I buy the white ones when ever i can find them.