Penn Slammer?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catfishguy, May 9, 2009.

1. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have been using a Penn Slammer for one of my rods this year for Flatheads and Blues. It is the biggest of the Slammer models and boy can it crank. I love my Abu 7000s, but this has got to be one of the strongest spinning reels I have ever used. I just crank down the drag until a flattie takes off with the bait, then a couple quick turns back up, pull and crank. It has worked great this year. Does anybody else use a Slammer for catfish? Oh, Team Catfish hooks definitely help too.

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I have ALOT of different style Penn reels and absolutely love them they are second to none in my book and I have used Abu's aswell.. If you think that their spinning reels have cranking power.. you should try one of their baitcasters!!! They are harder to cast than a Abu but once you get it down you will fall in love!!:roll_eyes:

And yes the Slammers are sweet!

3. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yeah the Penn baitcasters are unreal. Their power is definitely their strong point. I don't think they cast as good as the Abu reels and that is the only reason I prefer the Abu 7000 reels. I still like my Slammer reel though.

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Once you get use to casting a Penn you can cast as far as any Abu, It takes a couple years of practice but I can sail a line 80+ yds with my Penns.

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Penns "RULE".....I've been fishing with them for over 25 years. Baitcasters and spinning...never had one problem at all!:cool2: