Penn Roddy 175

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by duckalot, Apr 10, 2008.

1. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just wondering how good they were. I have Two penn 209 reels I would like to replace with something with a little faster retrieve. Looks like the price is right but how tough are they?

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I had one and sold it a few months after I had it. My Uncle I sold it to liked it for a while but it just didn't hold up to heavy use. I'd go ahead and spend the extra $ and get an Abu Garcia 6000 or 6500cl3 or even a 7000. They are much, much better reels and will hold up forever as long as you take care of them.
    The 175 held up good for smaller cats but after catching a few 15#'s and up it started tearing up everytime he used it. He lost lots of good fish because of that reel. IMO, you get what you pay for.
    Thats just my personal experiences with that reel.
    Good Luck to you!

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ck. out Penn 220 GTO OR Okuma 30d about $50.00 each with 4.1 retrieve ! :cool2:

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I havent ever had one but ive heard of some people likeing them

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Rob, there is another thread here somewhere on them also, I can only tell ya that the one we have and use for trolling striper have been very good so far, I have had no problems with either one, they were a gift also, I can not really say they are bad only because the ones I have been fishing have done just fine so far, But I also agree that you get what you pay for on most items, as you know. I have a 6500 that is good for nothing but parts but i can't say they are all bad. Probably didn't help ya a bit, but thats all I can tell you on them. cast fine, reel fine, have held up so far.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Possible the one I got was just a piece of junk. It held up good until he started getting good sized cats on it and it went downhill fast!

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    My son says the 2 he just bought are doing just fine; so far he is pleased with the reels performance. here is another link.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77041

type in roddy in search box and it will take you to some more replies on the reel,,If my son has any problems , I'll post asap..kenny, Heck I think he ordered 2 more,,they must be doing something right..Time will tell though.:wink:

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    They may end up that way John, you know how it goes, the ones I have may have been built on wednesday :smile2: :wink: I'll let ya know if/when the do go down.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I hope they hold up good for you for a long time. Hopefully the one I had was just not made very well and made on a friday...:wink::smile2:
    Best of luck to you with them!:big_smile:

10. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    A FRIEND OF MINE TO ME THAT ZEBCO BOUGHT OUT PEEN. HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD THIS?

PEEDEE CAT