penn reels

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by tigger_tat_55, Apr 28, 2008.

1. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    hi there,

a few years ago I was given nine penn reels. I have new drags in the mail. my question is, is there any tricks to cleaning up the side plates, they are a plastic type material. most of them are dull and dirty. I would like to at least clean them up a bit.

thx.

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I WOULD GO ON THE NET AND SEE WHAT THEY TELL YOU

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey I agree if I was you while you was on the net I would type in the real and type in cleaning tips and it should bring you to some post that should be able to help you out, I would be careful if its plastice because it could easily break.

4. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    I went through the same thing several yrs. ago a friend gave me several pen reels that were old as time itself. Just kidding the reels were some where around 25 yrs. old. I took them and sprayed them down with WD40 . I mean soked them good. Let them set for about a week and took an old wash cloth and rubbed the sides of the reels real good and all that old crud and years of dirt came off. Then I took them apart and cleaned them. They look and work a heck of alot better. U can try this and maybe it will work for U also.

PEEDEE CAT

5. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    found a guy on the net, claims he can get just about any part I might need for these. guess the oldest is from the 60's. going to give it a try.

thanks for all the help:smile2:

6. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    TW, when I do my yearly cleaning on all my penn reels. I completely take the reels apart and boil all the parts in water. (Except for the idler gear) When I remove the parts from the water I wipe them down with a clean dry towel, and I use q-tips on the side plates that I can't get to with the towel.

7. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    thanks for the info, Ill give that a try and see what happens:tounge_out:

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Why not the idler?

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I disassembled,cleaned and lubed my first Penn over 50 years ago.Little has changed as many of the old reels are still made the same and most since are very much alike in most or many ways.

www.pennparts.com

Search the above site throughly for parts,manuals,specifications,schematics and tips for all of your reels.

Get you a "Preferably" SS mixing bowl or better still buy you a SS pot and lid from a yard sale,Goodwill or the Salvation Army thrift store.Treasure it for gun and reel cleaning and so forth as all solvents and cleaners can be used in it.I like Simple Green super strength or concentrated.Disassemble and spray parts throughly with straight strong cleaner in SS pot or bowl.Tooth brush heavy deposits.Let set overnight,day,week or month if you go on vacation.After sitting and soaking in cleaner,add clean hot water to cover.Boil if you wish.If you do not boil,parts should be stirred occasionally.You can soak again for up to a month if you have to go out of town again.Brush again if needed.Wash/rinse with several rinses of hot water.Dry.

WARNING!PLEASE HEED THE FOLLOWING!

"Eccentric Spring" +Most commonly called a "~!@#$%^&*()_+|" in every know location and language anywhere in the world that a Multiplying Penn reel has ben disassembled!

I do recommend to all who disassemble Penn reels to remove and assemble all springs with your hands and the reel inside a 2 gallon zip lock or other large clear plastic bag that you can see through.Close up the entrance with a white towel!

This is because you will have a spring learn to fly and disappear before your very eyes.I have found them months later in my ceiling light fixture when changing the bulb.They will stick in your clothing.They will turn up in your washing machine and dryer filters.In Vacuum Cleaners.They will go in any crack that a very small Roach will.I know.Check your Coffee cup,Ice tea or Coke can!They have a far better guidance system than a smart bomb or single Gold Digger with 25 divorces behind them.I have found them in all of these places and under molding when remodeling.They have yet to breed a dog that can sniff these out.(Yes,in desperation,I even tried my dogs many times over the years,including a Bloodhound that could locate a chicken bone under 6 feet of still water).I told this to a Penn rep and sugested that they lube with Chicken fat grease.He said"We would then lose out on one of our most popular items that we sell".No Joke!

When ANYONE orders any parts for a multiplying Penn Reel,I strongly suggest ordering and replacing the springs as springs do gradually lose their tension with age.I also suggest ordering X-tra springs as they are cheap and shipping is not.

Note.Penn springs are very seldom known by the names that you order them by off of the schematics and parts list.Being that Penn reels have ben around the world for years,they are known by the curse words in most known languages of the world.And yes they are this bad to install and remove without losing.

I once saw a Penn Reel owned by a British officer who claimed that it was bought by his uncle at a Kabul Afghanistan flea market in the early 40's.Figure this out!

I love you brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    wow!!

that site has alot of info, thanks!!

11. dex

dex New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    A mixture I use to clean my Penn reels is in a cut off plastic gallon milk jug to hold the parts in mix white vineger with baking soda enough of this mixture to cover the parts let sit overnight it's going to fizz alot but it works

12. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    If your guy falls through let me know. I have a friend named Jim and I restore Penn 209's, 309's, 9's, 109's. If I don't have the part he does. Pee Wee is right..under the lever/handle side of your reel is a spring so small if you didn't know it was supposed to be there you wouldn't know it. It has been known to achieve orbit if launched outside, also minimum of at least one time zone if launched in side. Other than that they are not bad.

Don