Penn Reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by DemolitionMan, May 28, 2007.

1. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Is it just me, or does it seem that a majority of reel complaints are about Penn Reels????Dwight

2. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    penn are harder to get use to the are more designed for trolling not casting i have had penns forever man are they work horses i got an abu a month or so ago and as far as casting i would rather cast the abu but as far as reeling in big cats give my penns anyday

3. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    penns are true workhorses, if u want to cast alot then abu 6000 is the way to go. i think the complaints lately have been tidewaters and other casters, not the penns, although some have bought them on ebay and said they were great shape some have gotten burnt on them

i would put penn 209 up front anyday over a tidewater

4. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    tide waters are the biggest piece of crap ever made i have stripped 3 out with no more than 6 casts a piece got my money back on all 3 not that you are but if you are looking for a new reel if walmart sells it dont buy it an abu isnt an abu wally crap sells cheaper made models i know people on here will say there the same but how can they sell a reel for 60 bucks that true fishing stores sell for 130.00 not made the same not even close rogerssportinggoods.com have got 9000 abu big games for like 74.68 shipped
    ive bought about 12 of them here lately

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Complaints about Penns? Hmmm, the only complaints I have heard are coming from two sources. One is the folks who bought a $20 reel on ebay and think they should be getting top condition and rated reels. Sorry, but the truth is as always, you get what you pay for. Most great deals are for a reason, the owner doesn't think the product is all that great. I am not sure if Wallyworld reels fit in this category or not, as I have never bought one of their reels. However, they are notorious for forcing low prices out of their suppliers. The only way the suppliers can afford it is to make a cheaper product for them. Not saying this is the case with ABU, but it has happened over and over with other suppliers.
    The other reason commonly given for putting Penns down is the not so great casting abilities of the older reels, such as the 209's. I know this for a fact, myself. However, I have heard quite a few folks who own newer Penns, that they are much better at casting than the old ones.
    Nobody, but NOBODY, doubts their ability to reel in a monster. They are the standard in that area. I do know several folks who still use the older Penns when boatfishing and there is no need for long distance casting. If your just dropping the line down into a hole below the boat, by all means, you will be hard put to beat the older Penns.
    I, personally, have one other problem with the older ones, but it is mainly an adjustment I have never figured out. If the line you are using is very thin, it may sneak it's way to the side and get through a gap that leads to the bearings. Murder to get out of there. Everyone seems to say that it is something that can be adjusted out, I just haven't figured it out and to be honest, no longer care. Since getting ABU 7000's, I will never go back.

6. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I started fishing the 320's about 15 years ago on the great lakes for walleye and salmon. I have fished the 310's for about 10 years (when they first came out) for catfishing and they are still in use. My largest blue came on one which weighed in at 78.8 pounds and the reel handled it just fine. I now have 4 - 310's and 2 - 320 GT2. Penn stands behind there equipment. I sent one of the oldest reels in the past winter for reconditioning and it came back back like brand new. Lets just say I'm a big Penn fan!

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I think it is a matter of individual preference. You dance with what brought you, Penn, Abu or whatnot.

8. hnterrcc1951

hnterrcc1951 New Member

State:
    indiana
    come on guys, do you realy have to cast that far to catch fish? hnterrcc

9. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I've had Abu's and Tidewaters.. No complaint from either one but... After listening to everybody talk about the 220 gto Penns, I bought 2 of them.. I gave away my Abu's a couple months ago.. I took the Penns out this weekend and I love them.. I can cast as far as I need to, they handle the fish I catch and they look good.. Penns will be all I buy from now on.. But thats my preference.. Some are sold on Abu's, some on other brands..

10. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    As far as casting Penn has made several great casting reels. At the present time the Penn 525 Mag is a gem of a casting reel.

11. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Kutter I have a 209 Penn I bought in 1972 and I have a 209 bought in 1992 and I can make longer casts with the older one and I like fishing with it more than the newer one.

12. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    That's just cause you old farts always like old things.:wink:
    Maybe that's why I like you, old friend.::eek:oooh::smile2:

13. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    My opinion on this matter is simple , those of us that learn to realize the limitations of our selves and these reels appreciate them for what they are or are not . most are not classified as casting reels so those that complain about casting distance should consider a casting model and not a trolling model . The penn reels that are made for casting can and have gone head to head with top reels from other companies Abu included . Now to put a abu against a penn reel in the same line class designation as far as bull work i honestly don't believe the results would be even close after repetative use in the same enviorments but thats not what abus on the most part were intended for , and even the models that are cannot compete with penns in my honest opinion intended for the same purpose . And as far as buying used when you buy used sight unseen you can expect to spend a little on repairs thats just par for the course . I own penn and abu but my preferance is to grab a penn when tough conditions dictate the use of tough equipment , my .02 .

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Glad to hear you like your new penns:cool2:

if penn would make a magnetic brake to add to the 320ld it would be the greatest reel ive ever seen, some times my brain to thumb reaction time aint the best, but i believe the drag on this reel might be

15. hnterrcc1951

hnterrcc1951 New Member

State:
    indiana
    you guys are right! you should all throw them old antique in the trash!!! (p.s. just let me know where ,that way i can pick them up and help keep the env. clean) hnterrcc

16. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Well, I didn't notice the source of the complaints, just noticed people were having problems with em...It may be the new reels, or it may be the people that are "new" to penn.....lol....I thought they appeared to be a quality reel in all the pics and descriptions....What started me to notice was as I was looking at the 320GTI.....Just wondering...Thanks guys....You old farts don't count....Everything was made better in the 90's...lol....Thanks again, Dwight