penn reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by FATDAD, Dec 28, 2009.

1. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    thinking of getting a couple, what do you recomend? wanting something the size of abu 7000

2. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    the 320GT2 is the most versatile reel Penn makes, its super smooth, casts just as far as any reel on the market, holds 320 yds of 30# mono(I have 80#PP), has a loud clicker and winch drag. New at a store $79-$89 about $50-$75 on ebay. Just bought another today for $80 and filled it with red 80#PP and put it on a MH Tiger. Now if you just need a super winch that doesnt need to cast far (is casts far just not as far as the the 320) go with the 309 it has everything the 320 has, isnt as easy on the eyes though and a lot bigger/heavier but holds more line-350 yds of 30 mono(I have 100#PP) and is a super winch. About $65 new in stores and about $40-$50 on ebay. Bought one today for $64.99 gonna put 150# PP, ran out of the 100# I had at home

3. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    BUy an Abu Garcia. Not that penn sucks,but they aren't what they used to be.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The 310GTI or 310GT2 matches up real close to the Abu 7000 in terms of line capacity, casting, drag, etc. If you fish heavy current I'd go with the 320GT2, as it's got a little stronger drag for pulling in big fish against the current.

5. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i have 2 peer 209's and love them. they were given to me so that makes them better!

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Don,t know how they,re making them nowadays,but my brother uses a 309 that,s got 20 years on it.He does no maintanance and still aint been able to destroy it!:wink:

7. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    penn 309!!!I snagg with them and catch HUGE HUGE Spoonbill on Table rock lake!!

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I have 4 -209's 1- Senator 209Penn and 1- 220 Penn.Love em all.
    209 is good reels just slow when reeling in.You'll have to decide
    for yourself as to which you want to go with and feel comfortable with.
    I use 80# PP on mine.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    im with garry stay with the gt series and NOT the gto :wink: there ok just cheeply made the 09's are reeeeeeel slow

10. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I have a 209 that i have had for over 30 years with no problems at all and practically no maintenance. The Penn's are dependable, have a vastly superior drag system, require very little maintenance, and are practically indestructable. For brute power they can't be beat.

:cool2:

11. Papa64

Papa64 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree thunderchicken, I have two penn 9's and one 209 plus some abu's and Diawa rigs and the Penns deffinetly have the most cranking power. Abu's are easier for a new comer to learn to toss than the Penn's are, but the penn will be here when the abu is wore out.