Penn reel color?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by 3dukmn, May 30, 2007.

1. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm looking into buying some Penn Reels off e-bay, and I can't understand why some are red, and some are black while others are green, yet they all have the same model numbers. (209 in this case)

Can anyone tell me what the color of the reel means, if anything?

2. sharkn1979

sharkn1979 New Member

State:
    georgia
    the red 209 is the high speed version or is called the 209 special

3. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
  4. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    By "red" do you mean maroon color? I ahve one, but I am unsure about it being high or low speed. It does not say anything about the gear ratio.

I looked it over and measured it at about a 2.7 to 1 ratio.

CP

5. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Boy the prices went up this week on ebay. I got one alst week for 2 and change. This week, you cant touch them for under 18 ea plus shipping.

CP

6. hnterrcc1951

hnterrcc1951 New Member

State:
    indiana
    as far as i know there is no gearing dif., maroon is an oldie as far as i know, the black is newer if it has soft handles, the older all have bakelite and wooden handles (i prefer bakelite older to newer models). hnterrcc

7. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    So from what I gather, as long as they work, they are almost the exact same thing only difference is color and possibly speed ratio. Works for me!!

Thanks Guys!!! All answers appreciated.

Yeah - the prices are going up. I picked the right time to try to get a couple, huh! :eek:(

I need 4 for my new rods. I bought 4 Catmaxx 7.5' rods on clearance at BPS last week, and now I need the reels.

8. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If you don't get in a big hurry you can find bargains on ebay.Could consider not getting all 209's and get two of them and one 9 and one 309.A 210 is the same size as 209 with bearings,magnetic casting control and higher gearing.A 10 is same size as a 9 with features as 210.109 is same size as 9 but is not true free spool and don't cast as well.
    Jake

9. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the advice. I have seen 209's in action, decided to go that route. I just bought 4 209's off ebay. I averaged about $30 each (that includes the shipping). Considering what they cost new, I'm very cool with that.

Looking forward to getting out there!!

10. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Penn had various colors on the 140 that started from black, red, maroon, and then back to black. Some of the other reels started out as red then over the years went to black.

I had a Penn 10 they came in black and casted just as well as the old red Penn 9. They also had the same free spool as the Penn 9 with a higher 4:1 gear ratio.

11. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Todd I have a red 209 Penn that I bought new in 1972 and a black 209 Penn I bought new in the 1990s.They have the same gearing and reel in at the same speed but I do like the older one better.

12. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm glad you like the older one better because I just bought 2 red ones.

2 with black handles, and 2 with white.........sounds like Penn just can't decide to pick a color and stick with it. :confused2:

13. Davidsed505

Davidsed505 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The color helps some with dating a 209, but the logo on the left sideplate tells ya more. So far, from what I've gleened from posts, pics, purchases, etc....
    The 209 originally came black, with black plastic spool. The penn logo on the left side was in a circle, what I call the Large Curly P. This had to have been in the early to mid 50's.
    About the time penn started playing around with green sideplates, they made maroon ones also, again with the "Large Curly P". Mid to late 50's. If you compare the insides of a black early 209 to a maroon 50's 209, you'll notice a difference in either materials/manufacturing process. The black oldies have what looks like little circles etched on the inside, I assume from some molding process. This disappeared with the maroon ones, again with the large curly P.
    I believe it was early-mid 60's when they changed the logo to what I call the "small curly P", again in a circle on the left side plate. I've seen dark maroon, and maybe maroon, but haven't seen a red or black of this vintage.
    This is where I get a little foggy. I believe it was in the 70's when they went to the Penn Peer printed in caps directly beneath the left bushing (left side plate). I've seen these in maroon or dark maroon, as well as a red. Haven't seen a black one of this vintage, but could be i just haven't found one yet.
    Not exactly sure when this change occurred, but I think it was the 80's or so that they went to the penn 209 logo that is still used today. This edition is minus the spare pawl, with PENN upper left on left side plate. These I know came in both red and black. Not sure if red came first, but that would be my bet.
    From that, the only other change I guess would be from either 2005 or 2006, they make em in China, hence the missing "Made in USA"