Penn Peerless No. 9

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bootshowl, Jan 2, 2007.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I have one that belonged to my Dad. But it appears to be in great shape.
    Wondering to put this unit in service, it reminds me of the reels used for surf fishing, and peer fishing when I lived in California 100 years ago. Could I put this on a ugly stick and go for it. Should it use braided line or mono ?
    It's a level wind, star drag, bait clicker. Dad had it mounted on a garcia Kingfisher rod with the big eyelets....I taken the rod and put a open face Shakespere reel rated for saltwater with 17 lb. cajun red. I wasn't sure about the level wind on a open face rod....I used it this past season with good results. The reel is probly at least 30 years old...but like I said it's in good shape. Anyone used or still using one ? Appreciate the feedback.
    :smile2:

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Gary, recently I bought a JC Higgins reel off ebay. Initially I thought it was a 209 with the higgins sticker, but it was a 9m with a higgins sticker. I love it. It is a good size for most catfishing applications. It is smooth. It has all the oil points, just like any of the other older Penn models. I can't say how much I like this reel and the price with shipping and all was under $20 bucks. Vern

3. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I have a Penn 9 and would recommend that you stick to mono.

4. waitin on whiskers

waitin on whiskers New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    i have two of them that i use, have both mounted on the white ugly stiks and use 25 to 30 lb mono they work really great. i would say go ahead and use it very good reel.

5. waitin on whiskers

waitin on whiskers New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Nah it holds plenty of line and havent had a problewith it being spooled yet or nething havecaught some gar upwards of 50 and sixty pounds and no problems maybe be different for a big cat but i havent had that oppurtunity yet although i will keep this in mind thanks for the info.

6. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    275 yards with 15# mono that reel holds out of the box.