penn peerless #9 reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by ohio catfisherman, Mar 20, 2008.

1. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i guy has got some of these for sale used and cheap i was wondering if there any good and if anybody has ever used them for catfishing

2. Fishbit

Fishbit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They are just a mini version of the 209/309. They take the same drag washers. They just hold a little less line but are a smaller package. I've used a green one for years. Dandy reel. Kind of slow ratio, like 3-1.

3. Ed1

Ed1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have 3 of them they are tuff reels . They are a little harder to cast than the abu's but are eaiser to work on and maintain.

4. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    great reels that will last and last. if you do need to work on em they are easy, and parts are easily available. I have power pro line on mine. 85# i think.

5. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    This is the little brother of the 209 and 309 Penn's I use. I will say that if you buy a vintage Penn reel, you will be buying a very stout, solid piece of equipment. The way these were made and the toughness and elegance of the Penn design makes them worth owning.... and fishing.

If you buy one and they have problems, parts are available, and you can work on these reels if you have a bit of mechanical skill. You will not go wrong picking up a Penn #9 if it has not been really abused.... If only abused a bit, and you can pick up a part or two and fix it, buy it....

6. polecatter

polecatter Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Luke,

You should really pass them up, but be sure to send me the fella's contact information when you do! :smile2:

Larry

Keep On Castin.....Cattin!

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    How many do ya have-I sure would mind one-nephews inlaw/granpappy give him one(#9) and I cleaned it up....tried to get it but he aint trying to get rid of it:sad2:I am starting off this year using a Penn 330-309 and 209,I think I like them better then any Abu I have or tested.Penn has rugged beat me class!
    I got the 309 out of a junk box and had to make me a handle but its all good for free and you can bet I am gonna use er:wink:

8. chuckjohn

chuckjohn New Member

State:
    iowa
    hey if you ar elooking for a #9 i have one in excellent shape i would be willing to trade for an abu if you have one you want to get rid of please think about it and get to me at chuckjohnwhatshisname@gmail maybe we can make a deal.thank you.

9. wilsonj1018

wilsonj1018 New Member

State:
    Taylorsvile, NC
    Holy thread resurrection batman 6yrs has gotta b a record

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I have a Penn 9, its a good reel. I like it has a good clicker, not the greatest or easiest to cast, but its a good reel. It will cast as far as I need it. It has level wind, so I don't expect to cast 1/2 mile, I have heavier line on it than I want, to keep the line from getting between the frame and spool but its great for catfishing.

11. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I like'm, but have kinda forgotten them. Better dust'm off and give them a go.

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I own several Penn reels and like the Mag 10 for channel cats. Smaller than #9. But works great. Have the 209s USA made.

13. chuckjohn

chuckjohn New Member

State:
    iowa
    i just caught 3 18 pound carp with this reel and didn't have a lick of troubl landing them.great reel.