Penn Peer 209

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by MRR, Jun 26, 2006.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Has anyone ever heard of a baitcsasting reel by the name of Penn Peer 209. Least wise thats all I can find on it for a name. And believe it or not it says it's made in the U.S.A. Now thats hard to believe. Anyway I fellow gave me this rod/reel back in the early 90's. Said he use to use it for snaging but he quit fishing the rivers and didn't need it any more. If anyone has heard of it , my question is Are they any good?

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
  3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i don't use baitcasters, John, but the penn has a solid reputation - i certainly wouldn't be afraid of it

4. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    What kind of rigs do you use Phil?Just curious because I use spinning reels and was thinking maybe I needed to change...

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    MRR
    You can use what ever type of line you are comfortable with, I have 50 lb power pro on mine. If you like mono better then go with it. If you go with braid put a good amount of mono backing. This does 2 things, takes up space on the spool ( so it don't take several hundred yards of braid to fill it, only need 150 yards or so of braid on top) and keeps the braid from slipping on the spool.
    Casting takes a little practice, because the 209's and 309's etc. do not have a mechanical brake to slow the spool and prevent a overrun or birds nest. The braking action is preformed by your thumb on the casting hand by applying light pressure on the spool.

6. polecatter

polecatter Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    John,

A Penn Peer 209 is my favorite flathead reel. I have several and like them very well. They are perfect for the waters I fish, and mine are spooled with 20#, 30#, and 40# monofilament, usually Big Game or P-Line and mounted on Shakespeare White Catfish Ugly Sticks and MH Shakespeare Tiger rods. I also use spinning reels for flats on occasion. If fishing for channels I will use a spinning reel most of the time.

The quality of the vintage 209 is apparent to me in the feel and handling of the reel. It has substance, balance and durability and for me a great flathead reel. I believe when you become accustomed to casting and handling the reel you will be quite happy with it if it fits your type of fishing.

This is simply a penny's worth and only my opinion. Use what you like as that is what makes it all worthwhile and enjoyable.

Good Luck!

Larry

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.

I really appericate your help on the 209 and types of line I could use.Haven't ever used one before,but was in the yard casting it and liked the feel of it so gonna give it a try.
    also want to welcome you to rhe BOC. this is really a great place to hang your hat for a spell. So many good people on here willing to help out with thier knowledge. KICK BACK AND ENJOY>
    Thanks again for your help. sent you a rep.