Penn Peer 209

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Cattn-Jeep, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    Seems like there is quite a bit of chit-chat about Penn reels lately... SO, I bought a Penn Peer 209 from EBay for $20. When I got it I looked it over and found it in very good condition, but not quite what I would call great. I could feel it binding when the level wind was on the right 1/3 of the bar, it made a crunch (like sand) every now and again too. I took it apart planning on 30 min. to clean and grease it. WRONG! Four hours later when it was back together, I decided that I never wanted to take it apart again. Once I opened the "gearbox" all the springs came out all at once and brought all the little pieces with them. The schematic didn't help much, although it did help some. After degreasing and regreasing all the greasables the reel is SUPER smooth. I need new drag washers because the old ones seemed to be melted together...ick. But I was able to get them apart and working again (for now). With the reel reassembled I can spin the handle with the spool engaged and the handle keeps on going around, about 5 or 6 more times.:smile2: Now all I need is a rod for it...

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    The first time is always the worst.

You can get the new HT 100 drag washers at PennParts.com. While you're at it, a spare pawl might not be a bad idea.

Does your reel have the aluminum spool?

3. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    The reel does have a spare prawl already, there is a little compartment built into the side of the reel for it. I think the spool is too heavy to be aluminum. I've read that aluminum casts better, but I'd like to see for myself. I'm thinking that a heavier spool has advantages over a lighter one. I've got a feeling that I can cast further with a heavy spool. An aluminum spool would slow down too fast and drag on my line...yes/no? I would expect that once a heavy spool got up to speed, it would feed the line better instead of dragging on it. Oh well, I'll see how I like it...I'm trying to pick out a rod for it...I want an 11.5' for it. But might just put it on $20 7' Shakespeare Wild Cat for now.

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    It's all about inertia.

The heavier spool is harder to get going, and once you do get it up to speed, it's like the Energizer bunny that keeps going and going, and...

Point being, a heavy spool is much harder to control than a light one. It requires an educated thumb.

The good news is, once you can cast an old Penn with that heavy spool, you can cast anything.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    http://www.smoothdrag.com/ for drag washers :wink::cool2: the smoooothies are only $3 or the carbontex are $8 and if i rember their s&h is cheeeep.