Penn Peer #109

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Junior42, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    My dad has this reel. It is a Penn Peer #109. I looked up some info on it and I found out that it was made in 1953. Anybody have any idea how much it is worth or is it junk?

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    It's not worth much, but it's certainly not junk, either. I'd take it catfishing in a heartbeat.

How did you fix the date of manufacture?

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    No such thing as Penn junk my man!....actually those are a fairly common reel, I use 309's they are just bigger than the 109's I wouldn't let it go for any less than $50.....But if my dad gave it to me I wouldn't sell it, I would use it or display it somewhere in my house:wink:

4. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I got on yahoo and put the serieal number and what kind of real it was into the data base and thats what it said. Im not sure about the exact date.

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i just got one off ebay coming in the mail looks like new got it for $10 but i have seen theam go over $50
    http://www.scottsbt.com/ try this place for pen info good site also i invite you to post pics of it in the Rod and Reel Collectors Corner
    its in the antiqe secton of the boc
    the 109 is what a lot of pepple call nuckle busters the handel will spin when you cast it

6. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    As said before some people call the reel a 'knuckle buster' for the reason is is not a true freespool and won't cast as well as the Penn 9 which is the same size but will bring in the fish as well as any reel.They aren't worth much unless they are in mint condition.
    Jake