Penn or abu

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by DELLIS, Jul 10, 2007.

1. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    it seems like 2 or 3 times a month this question comes up
    both are great reels both have their plus and minuses
    so my question is why do boat fisherman not worry about distance they generally fish near the bank and bank fisherman you guessed thinks they have to be out in the middle of the lake or river
    i have had my best luck day or night no more than 30 yards out so why do you think you need to cast 75 yards or more

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I fish bank & boat it might be just me ,but I like to use my Penns out in the ocean. I always use my Abu Garcias for catfish whether in a boat or when fishing from the banks.Sometimes I catch large fish in shallow water.:0a22:

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If I can reach the spot were the fish are from the bank, I'll fish from the bank and not waste the gas at the price it is these days. I'll use the boat when I can't reach em from the bank. There's also places I fish were you have to get way out there, but boats are not allowed.

4. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Most places I bank fish from the area I can get down to the river at is never close to the cover or hole I want to fish, so having a rod and reel combo that I can cast a long ways is a must. When boat fishing I can motor close to where I want to fish and my boat combos I use are a different set up.

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I haven't owned a penn for about 8 years and I bought a couple last week, a 209 and the good old 309, I have heard a lot of trash talkin about the penns lately so I hope they are still a decent reel.

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    First of all,you do not talk like this where wives can hear or read it.It will come back to haunt you and thousands of other men when they want to buy a boat.Wives and future mother in laws are filing your post for future ammunition to use when a man should dare to bring up the subject of buying a boat.I think that most of us fishermen are like Bulls (full of Bull Manure) and Cows (Cows are always thinking that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence).I think Bass fishermen need a boat out of pure laziness.Hey!They always cast to the shoreline! I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

7. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There is nothing wrong with the Abu's or Penn's it is going back to personal preference. I have 6 Penn's and love them. I've had some 15 years now and I bought 2 new 320 GT2's this spring.

8. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    it's a matter of prefrence but i would take my 309 penns up against any abu
    but i like my abu's also
    penn and abu is no diffrent than less filling great taste debate or chevy is better than ford all what you like

9. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    abu all the way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I wish it was just one brand that people are worried about.We can fish with and get parts for 40-50 year old reels today.Will we be able to buy parts for the 40-50 year old reels or the reels we buy today,5 years from now?I think that is the biggest question.Also,the advertising agencies are selling reels now.Gimmicks instead of the simplicity and sturdiness of the past.Most of these gimmicks are promoted to be so that almost anyone can use the the reel with out having to learn how to control or operate it to cast.I can see it for the crippled up and handicapped like me,but for healthy folk?Automatic,non adjustable spool brakes were put on the Daiwa Millionaire over 40 years ago to slow down the spool speed for easier casting.The Brass bushing bearings just allowed too much spool speed if you didn't learn to control it.Advertising sold "Bass Fishing" to city folk.Most "Fly fished" before that.You ain;t a fisherman now unless you are running around in a boat fast enough to blow your clothes off and leave you naked.How do I know?I saw it on TV.I see no promotions for the deaths these ads cause when people imitate them.The new things are wonderful when they improve.Pride in reputation and product just seems secondary to cash.$$$$$ is what we are.Brand seems to have little to do with it.There is a large amount of knowledge from the TV on here and a lot from experience.Many never think of the days,weeks or even months some of those adds took to make.You are led to think that you can do it in 20 minutes.Many such will change their minds with time as I did and still do in my life time.It is hard for us all to learn any truth about any product now that "Misconception and dishonesty" is a accepted and promoted way of selling and doing business.Remember that the laws protecting you were wrote by Lawyers and ruled on by Judges who were successful Lawyers.Comfortable ain;t it?I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

11. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    ABU GARCIA FOR ME.

12. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I have a Blackhorse Custom Catfishisn rod on order and have been trying to decide what I am going to get for it. My main reel now is the CatMaxx which is a very good bait caster. I hae been doing alot of reading and like what the Penn has. Just can't decide.

I am waiting for the rod then I will take it and put different reels on it till one feels right I guess.