Penn or Abu

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by sirdank, Mar 19, 2009.

1. sirdank

sirdank New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am going to be reel shopping soon, what is a better baitcaster? Opinions please. Also which are easier to maintain? Thank you.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Both are good reels. If you can find an ABU made in Sweden that is a plus. Also the same for the Penn look for one made in America. Buy the size that fits your needs.

3. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Welcome to boc Adam, I like abu garcias myself. They are easy to maintain, and will last. But then you have alot of guys who like penn, I would handle both reels to see which one you would like. I can tell you with experience the abu garcias 6000, 6500, and 7000's are good reels for catfihing. Let us know what you choose.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    If you want to pay extra $$ for a smoother reel, then Abu would be the one. If you want a great reel with a great price, then Penn is the ticket.

I use Abu's myself. I like the all around smoothness, profile, and the gear ratios they offer.

Penn's are solid, dependable, and don't cost a arm an a leg. Down side is most aren't smooth and the gear selection is limited unless you prefer 4:10 ratios.

I've only worked on a few Penn's and those were easier to work on than the Abu's I have.

-Jim-

PS...Abu's rock....buy em, LOL.....couldnt help myself : )

5. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    Abu

I have been using my first one I ever bought for 17 years now. Just throw a little oil in it, good to go. All I have bought since then

6. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I have both on my boat. 6500's and Penn #9M's. The ABU's cast much better, but the Penn's work great on big fish. I love my Penn's and have been buying them on Ebay. The US made reels are much better than the new ones. Mine are 3.5 to 1 ratios and are like a winch when fighting a big fish. I load them with about 275 yards of 65 pound Power Pro braid and never have had to do anything other than clean and lube them.

I also like my ABU's, but will reach for a Penn first. I do not like the fast, 6.3 to 1 ratio on the C4's. I stay with the C3's at 5.3 to 1. I'm old and need more cranking power than speed. It's hard for me to work a big fish with the high speed reels. Both will give you great service. Pick what works best for you. If you cast a lot, the ABU's will serve you better. I drift, so casting is not manditory. I let the line out to where I want it then set it. No problems. You can cast the Penn's, just not as far.

God Bless All,
    Steve

7. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I agree 100% with the above. Couldn't have said it any better myself. :wink:

8. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

I say Penn all the way!! If you want a smooth Penn.. they have models that are just as if not more expensive than abus, a $80 Penn reel will pull a $160 abu reel apart! and will probably last three time as long, Clickers on Penns are way tougher and louder! PM me and I will discuss this more with ya!:wink:

PS.....Abus are toys:smile2::smile2: sorry fellas I couldnt help myself :smile2:

9. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    i think abu is easier to maintain.

Penn can be cheaper or more expensive than abu.

If i fish saltwater, would be a penn, freshwater abus. do look at daiwas, they are nice too

10. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Don't throw OKUMAS out either, they range in price and have some great reels

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    im a big ABU fan myself but to be fair ive never used a penn so i dont guess i can vote on this one.

12. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Pull a Abu apart,LOL ? I aint pulling motor's, I'm catchin cats.

Clickers on my BG7000 are the same loudness as the Penns. How do you figure the Penn clicker is tougher ?

Last 3x longer ??? absolutely your opinion with no facts to base it on.

Tell us what reels you are talking about here...its what this thread is for....Some Penns are just as smooth as Abu's ? Well pretty much every Abu is as smooth as silk, not just some of them.

And 4:10 ratios are fine if that's your ticket but me...when a fish runs at me fast or I'm drifting with my lines 150' behind me the last thing I want is a low geared reel. Now if your river fishin heavy current, that might but a plus.

I wont put down a Penn but I'll sure defend the Abu's ; )

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Adam, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:, best catfishing site on the web!

Another vote for Abu's here :cool2:. 6000 or 6500 for lake, boat or mild current and 7000 or larger for heavy current fishing and distance casting.

14. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

The GTI series, GTO series "may need some hot sauce" :smile2: , ambassador series, squidders, when most people hear Penn they think 9's 209's 309's wich are great reels but there are upgaded series that are awsome! even the "Very expensive" $500+ Penn reels have picture perfect cat reels

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well for my reel choices cost becomes a factor in my decision most of the time. and there are other choices out there but abu and penn are verry popular making getting parts easyer. out of the 2 id say abu is probally the easyer one to service except that pescy little c clip. as far as what to buy like i said cost usually makes my choice and big abus cost big bucks so i only have 1 that i got slightly used for a bargin way below cost. the smaller abus can be had at a price within reason but for bigger reels i look else were. penns has reels that behave differently were abus are pretty tame across the board, for peens id say stick with the gti gt2 series for overall performance even though they are getting up there in price. imo stear clear of the gto like steve said it needs alittle more than hotsause, for the same price you can get 2 okuma classics that run pretty close performance wise. pflueger contender has my best bang for the buck performance and okuma aint bad. i say get what you want and try different things im shure you wont buy just 1 reel :wink:

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have owned and used many penn reels including the newer series.

I dont like them for one reason casting distance.

I need to make cast of at least 100 yds at times, I personally cant do that with a wench, I mean penn:smile2:

I use abus

17. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Abu's are easier to cast, but I've had several different Penn reels that I could get a 100 yd (measured) cast out of: 320GTi, Mag Tuned 10 (not made any more), Squidders....

Like always, one man's junk is another man's treasure. Get the one you like best and train yourself to use it to it's limits.

18. straycat47

straycat47 New Member

State:
    texas
    Consider a Pflueger Contender Series reel. I hear they are awesome, have a lot outstanding features and made in USA. Penns, sadly, are made in China.:cool2:

19. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Abu Garcia all the way! I've use the Abu in 6000, 6500 and 7000 series. I own a 6500 Chrome Rocket Abu. This reel is by far the smoothest, easy to cast and also tough of all the reels I own. Sure, it costs more, but if you want to own quality gear, you have to sacrifice some MOOLAH for it!

Go with the ABU!!

20. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    sorry i got pflueger contender and they say made in china. but i will say that pflueger reels are every bit as good as abu!!!! They are awesome!