Penn No. 9.....How do you clean?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by daystarchis, Nov 25, 2005.

1. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I need some help. How do I clean my Penn No. 9 reel? I all ready have line on it. Do I need to take my line off? There sure are a lot of screws...lol

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    are we talking an older penn perless #9. if so i can help ya out. let me know and ill get the cam out and guide ya through it with pic's.

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks Jeremy :thumbsup: It is an old perless #9. Any help would be very appreciated. Here is a pict.

Attached Files:

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ok. i have same reel. give me a day or two and ill get ya some detailed instruction step by step posted with some pic's.

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    thanks brother. I appreciate it.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    give me some time bro. i ain't forgot ya. had to tape some drywall for my cousin and her husband today. ill try tomorrow and get the pics up by tues. got to stomp the celing tomorrow and top coat everything. i should be able to get the pics done tomorrow and posted by tues. i do a full tuterial on the reel.

7. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jeremy, wish I'd of had the benefit of your expertise BEFORE I took my 209 apart, whew, never did get it back together, had to take it to a local reel repair guy to get it back together :eek: (it's been a bunch of years ago). I can remove the left side plate on my Penns, I don't even think about taking of the right side.

8. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I did a break down, cleaning the Penn reels, I don't know what happened to it since the site changed.

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I looked in the library canebreaker. I could not find anything. I remember it.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    hopfully ill be able to get it done tomorrow. for ya. benn busy as a bee. im working on it.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ok. should be able to get this up for ya tomorrow. not working due to extreme cold and snow so ill have the time. look back at 5pm or so. i should have it up.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    in the works. just got it apart. getting ready to re addemble . ill have a mod put it in the library and give ya a link when i see it up.

13. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks Bro. I will be looking for it.

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ok man. i got it done. i got the pic's loaded and ready to start the post in the lib. well i have to wait for an -e-mail from timotha7 and send him the pic's. it should be up in a day or two. very detailed but this is a somewhat diffult reel.

15. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks Jeremy!!!!! I really appreciate it brother. :0a31:

16. nhra22

nhra22 New Member

My brother was in our garage attic a few nights ago and found an old Penn 9 with white handle on a Abu Garcia rod... it's sitting in the sink right now soaking in some simple green. That parts diagram will benefit me a great deal as well.. I am going to go ahead and totally disasasemble it and clean every part and then if I can't get it back together hopefully that diagram will be online :)

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    trying to get tim to get it up now. this is a difficult reel. if ya have totally dissambled it it may be frustrating as heck.

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    can't get whistler or tim to answer p,m,'s and im running out of time today, ill try again tomorrow eve.

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    chris. its done. all posts made and pics sent to tim. should be in the lib by wed thurs. hope it helps.

20. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Jeremy, You da man! Thank you bro....... You did an excellent job.