Penn Model 85

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bootshowl, Jan 28, 2007.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Anyone familiar or know about these reels. Buddy who's a yard sailor said they were too big and clumsy looking for bass fishing, ask me if I wanted 2 of em he picked up in a bucket deal...they are large body baitcastors with no level wind. Need cleaned but neither looks as its been apart. If ya know anything I like to save myself some surfing, and also advice as to cleaning them, what line etc. Thanks.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)

3. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    Here's abetter description. Hope it helps. Check it out.
    http://www.scottsbt.com/pennparts/reelspecs/penn85.htm

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    A poor mans reel.Well worth the price.Many were used for the same things that people used the Penn 209 and 309 level winds for,float fishing with live bait.You use to see people fishing off of piers,docks and jetties with those reels.On boats in the winter when the Black Sea Bass moved inshore and slow drifting for summer Flounder.I don;t see why they would not make a great Catfish reel.As for getting them apart to clean.They have been assembled for years.Take it slow.If it does not want to come apart,do not force it.Get a good container.Apply a dab of any good penetrating oil such as "Kroil Oil" on stuck parts and try it every day or two.Light tapping helps.Time is on your side.Impatience will and does destroy more old things when it comes to disassembly than any thing else.Take days,weeks or months if necessary.It is not something that you have to have tomorrow.You have two fine old reels that will do the job that they were sold to do.Some folks used 50 and up to 80 lb.mono when horsing fish around pilings with shell on them.For Flounder with minnows some liked as little as 10-12 lb. and up to 30 lb.with a stiffer rod for Black Sea Bass because of hauling them out of structure and on board without use of a net.I love you brothers and sisters.peewee.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    If it has a plastic spool.Tightly winding heavy monofilament line on it can crack or crush the spool.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee