Penn Jigmasters for catfishing

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Mr. Rooster, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Mr. Rooster

Mr. Rooster New Member

State:
    Hurst, Texas
    Anyone hear use either the penn 500 jigmaster or the penn 505 high speed jigmaster for catfishin? If so, what are your opinions? I own a few of these reels that I used for saltwater fishing quite a bit and have always felt that they were reliable workhorses of a reel. I have been thinking about adding them to my catfishing arsenal. Do any of you guys have an opinion on this?

Eric

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yes, I have used them in the past for Catfish and they were great, I would only use them for Blue Cats and Flatheads, a little big for most Channel Cat situations in my opinion. They are awesome reels, tough as nails.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I don;t own one.Wish that I did.I think that they are very appropriate for large freshwater fish of any type.Like the small Penn Senator.They take a lot of practice for some to learn to cast.They were made for such as this.peewee-williams

4. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    The Jigmaster is a heck of a reel for flatheads. Will take a heavier line with no problems and is tough enough to handle just about anything in freshwater. I have found it to be very comfortable to use with a little heavier rod. At least for me and where I fish it is too much reel for channel fishing.

5. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I only have one 500 jigmaster ,but it is one tough reel.It will handle any cat in any condition. They do require a bit of practice to get good distance,but they do cast very well.You can't go wrong with a PENN.

6. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    I have 4 penn reeal forsale a levelwind350 a longbeach98 a jigmaster500 and a seagate pm me for price
    but yea they are nice reels