Penn inquries

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Wyocatman, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    I have an old penn peer # 209. Ive read they'll work well for flathead fishing but how hard are they to cast? Im considering on an ugly stik catfish 7.5 ft m/h to match it with. Any techniques or advice on how to properly use this gem would be greatly appreciated. And one more small question, whats the difference in the perr and the peerless?

Thank you for your input Brethren, Dru

2. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ijust ordered one myself ill let u no what Ithink i get mine on wensday paid 49.99 from what i understand they cast well with a little extra weight

3. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    The weight helps but its all about getting a feel for the reel. I like powerpro line It seems to give me the best distance.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've both the newer 209 and the Peerless. I bought the Peerless off Ebay. According to the seller, it has a 4.1 to 1 retrieve ratio. I don't know if its true, the regular newer 209's are 2.8 to 1. My Peerless model is red, the newer one is black. The spool is different on the Peerless model. It rounds up to the top of the spool from the base, the newer model is more square cut. Also, my Peerless has a place for a spare pawl on the left side plate. Its a screw under which sits the spare pawl. Of the two, my Peerless seems to cast better. I can't say if its the two models or just the two reels. Both are good reels, though I don't have room for both on my kayak, so usually take the Peerless model if I take one. The one thing I can say about both reels is that there are few catfish that'll give the reel trouble. Don't ask about the catfisherman, that's a different story.

5. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    the penn 209's are thumbburners as they only have the primary spool tension as backlash control. they are controllable though. you have to apply some serious spool tension depending on the line diameter you use on them ... in other words they will need a lot more primary spool tension if you're using something like 50 lb big game on them than if you were using 20 lb test or one of the super lines like power pro. They're crankers or winches. these reels hold up well to just cranking fish in if you don't wish to use the rod to play the fish you can actually just crank the reel as they're really low geared reels. my 309's were 3:1 and I think the 209's are 2.8:1 ... that means for every full turn of the crank handle the spool turns 2.8 times. very low geared reels. they're also very tough but be sure to lube the spool shafts with a good teflon or silicone lube as they're bushing type reels. they don't have bearings and they'll wear out quick if they're not lubed and cared for properly. Good fishing!

6. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Thanks guys. I used this penn primarily for icefishing. The reel has always worked flawlessly. Got it from my father so i dont know how old it is.. Used to have a peerless 209 but think my brother probably snaffooed it when i moved.

anyway, thanks again for the info..

dru