Penn gto220

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by whiskers9512, Aug 19, 2007.

1. whiskers9512

whiskers9512 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Whats your guys opinion of the penn gto 220 for big blue cats on the missouri river? Probably going to put it on a ugly stick tiger rod.

2. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I really like the one I have....and I like your choice of the tiger rod. I have one and soon to have two of the tiger rods in the 20 to 50lb class.

3. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I have one and I think their one of the best buys for the money, I also use,
    a penn 965 & 7000, abu, the 220 will hold its own and then some.
    Jim

4. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i used mine 4 times and pretty much gutted it on a big fish in slow current so they arent that great

5. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    My opinion is that yo cannot do any better for the money. As a matter of fact you can't do much better for a lot more money. I have both and they are fine catfish equipment.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    thats kind of what i thought when i first bought mine a year or so ago except i knew i can get mutch better if i wanted to pay. i bought one cheep liked it enough to buy another. the only problem ive had is I mesed up the levelwind when i wasent paying attition works fine without it. time will tell on my newest reel for around the same price i got a phlueger contender and in all catagories but the clicker its better than the gto.

7. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a Penn GTO 220 on a Berkely Big Game 7' rod and it has been great. No problems here. Clicker is excellent and the price was better.

8. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thats a great choice I use those and the quantum blue runner you should try those to they can hold there on to

9. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I just bought the Penn 320. I have it on an ugly stick catfish rod. I hope it does the trick. I'll be testing it this weekend and Monday. If I have any troubles I'll give feed back.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    So, how does everyone think the GTO220 compares to the GTi320? :0a36:

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i wish i had the 320gt2 to tell you how they compair. id imagine that the drag is smoother on the 320 because im not sure they put the ht-100 drag in the gto. the clicker is probally the same and id hope their is more ajustment to the cast brake, but without the 320 to compair this is just a guess.

12. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    O.K. guys. I went fishing this past weekend with my brand new Penn 320. I caught a 40.6 pound blue on it. This fish fought harder than any fish I have ever caught. The 320 done a superb job. I would recommend it to anyone.

13. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Just got a new 220 at BPS and cant wait to try it out.

14. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've got a GTI and really like it. Had it for a few years now.

15. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have 6 of the Penn 220 GTO's and have had level wind problems with 2 of them! I like the reels, but fishing on the Mississippi with an average of 8 oz's plus bait (its hard on reels) The level wind seems to hang up and not work right, makes a popping sound. I also have several Penn 209M's and LOVE them!!!:big_smile:They cast farther,smoother, the only draw-back to the 209M is the speed of the retrieve. I also do A LOT of maintanance on my gear, so its not because of that! The 220 GTO's havent been around nearly as long as other Penn reels. Just my 2-cents worth!:tounge_out:

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i was waiting for someone to complain about the levelwinds they seem cheep to me too. i broke one on one of mine by accedent and the last time i used the other one it wasent keeping up. take the levelwind off and the rest of the reels good.