Penn gt vs. Okuma catalina

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by adam j, Nov 23, 2006.

1. adam j

adam j New Member

State:
    ohio
    I know alot of people use penns but i havent seen much about okuma catalina reels. I'm going to be buying a new reel soon and was wondering those of you who have okumas if they treating you allright.

2. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I have a couple of Magda Pro's. They seem good for the money, no problems yet.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Get the Penn, long history of reliability there.

4. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    well i'll add my two cents worth although i dont have a gt i do have a 9m,209,650 spinner and a 695 international(by far the best penn but expensive)and a catalina levelwind.i think that the catalina is built a little stouter(stainless gears )vs. penn bronze gears and bushings instead of bearings.eather way you will have a good reel for a really long time.

5. adam j

adam j New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks for all the info! I'm probably going to get both brands and throw them on tiger rods.

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    If you buy a Penn, you're still buying american made products:wink:

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Some Penn spinning reels are now made in Asia. Penn ran into financial problems and had to find a way to cut costs.

8. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    i tried a few okunas fishing with a bass pro one time... pretty decent reel but these of course didnt have clickers and im not sure if okuna do.

the gti's are awesome reels.... i think to be honest, maybe a little to beefy for inland fishing....but hey... if they up the odds of landing bigger fish... im all for it

the 330 will handle 100# mono all day long... wont cast far....but the reel will handle it. 7 foot rod and 50# line will cast far enough in most instances without flinging your bait somewhere other than it should be

9. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I'd Get The Penn Gt.