Penn gt series

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by slikk03, Jun 22, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i plan on getting a penn gt any thing i should know good or bad about it i own a go and i like it but it doesent cast very good

2. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Don't own a GT. Never seen one. However, the Penn reels designed to cast typically do a very fine job at it. These are ball bearing graphite reels and should be a great addition to the tackle collection..

3. rmoran171

rmoran171 New Member

State:
    Cedar Grove In
    I own 2 Penn 220 gto's and I Like them very well. They cast nicely and are built very good. There spooled with 50lb spider wire stealth and havent had a bit of problems with them in the 2 years ive owned them. I also have a couple of Penn 525 mag's and would highly recomend them to anyone. I absolutly love these reels. The also have 310 gti's 209's and 310 gt2 graphite. These reels are very well built as well but dont seem to cast as well as the 220 got and 525 mag. Hope this helps you.

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    If you are reffering to the GTI series they are great reels and do cast great, I seem to do better when spooled up with braided line rather than mono, but you know baitcasters everyone has their own opinion.... I own the 330GTI and 309 baitcasters along with 5 different spinners by PENN, I don't think any other company can come close to the durability of these reels and thats my "opinion"

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had a 310gti and a 320gt2...Note I said had...They are tanks for sure, but I wanted a fishing reel not a wench, so i stuck wit abu garcia.

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I bought 1 penn 330gt now I have a 209-309 and I lost a 209-a little niosey but very good reels I dont want anything else if its hooked its comin in or were breakin tackle-I have my eyes on a 220 now but cant get er just yet:roll_eyes:

7. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    WHAT IF YOUR TRUCK GETS STUCK?!!!!! LOL!!

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have a 345 GTI.Great reel.Now you don't need it unless you are going to fish for big fish.A bait caster will do for the smaller fish.:wink:

I am just picking at all the guys that catch big cats on bait casters.

I got it for my son and grandson to fish fresh and saltwater.It and a Daiwa Beef Stick rod made a great heavy fresh and medium saltwater rig.It will handle the saltwater fish high speed strikes that will destroy the bait casters.It will also hold the 600 yards of 30 lb.mono needed for the fast fish strikes.Mono stretches and absorbs the shock of the strike as everything gets moving.Braid would snap or destroy the gear with no give.You don't need this with the slower speed of catfish.

Another great fresh and saltwater reel.The Shimano Charter Special 2000 LD is a often overlooked reel.33 lbs.of drag and a 300 yard capacity of 20 lb. mono is great.Also the lever drag can be used like a bait feeder on the spinning reels.This is a great help in swift water.4 SS bearings and SS main & pinion gear.Beefed up level wind.The drags are built for 100 miles at maximum setting.One tough reel and I love it.It handles braid great too.

Let us know what you decide and how you like it.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.Peewee

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Proud and happy owner of six 320GT2's. Love 'em, and have been trouble free. I agree, they are winch like. But I need that b/c I fish the James and go after big fish, so they're a perfect match. I have an ABU 6500, but I wouldn't feel comfortable battling a hawg with it. You just gotta match up your gear to where and how you fish.