Penn fishing reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by ohio catfisherman, Mar 18, 2007.

1. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    what is the best penn model for cats

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    :big_smile_2: An Abu Garcia, LOL!!!!!!
    Sorry, if you like the Penns, try the GTI or GTO reels. They seem to cast easier than the older style penns.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i HAD a 309, I bought a 220gto with my xmas money and liked it enough that i bought another one. i also have a 320ld and whenever i go to buy another it will probally be a 320gt2.

4. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like them all,both the old and newer models except the 109.
    Jake

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    lol i guess you win i wouldnt mind trying the 975ld or the 975. one reel that id like to try that has good reviews is the pflueger PLF Trion 66.

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I believe the Cabela's Saltstriker 6600 is the same reel as the Plf.Trion 66.I have put a full spool of 30 lb.braid on 2 lately after going completely through them to look.They look to be built great.My son and grandson liked them.I put them on 2 BP POWER PLUS Trophy Class 1055 7'6" Med.Hvy.Act.1/2-2oz.Lure wt.10-25 lb.Line rods.You can get reviews and the reel schematics off of the Cabela's website.They are saltwater rated and will be used for fresh water casting,Cat fishing,Carp,Bow fin and saltwater,Speckled Trout.Red fish,Flounder,even Whiting and Croaker,etc.The purpose of braid was to be able to float line over shell rakes and the full spool was for clean bottom saltwater purposes where the amount could be needed.They have yet to use them and I am trying to learn to cast them with all the brakes on.I am averaging about 30 feet,which ain;t bad as I cain;t feel and so cain;t thumb the spool so far.I can do the same with a vintage Daiwa Millionaire #4 if that tells you anything.I have no real idea of normal use.I have seen the Plf.Trion being used on TV by Catfish and Redfish guides.They impressed me and so have the reviews.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i dont know about them penns being 5 x stronger than an abu ,lol.

8. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    I like the 209 and 309.

9. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Penn speaks for it's self buy holding more IGFA world reacords than any other reel out there. I love my penns and will swap any of my ABU's for a good peen any day. If you can use a reel with out the level wind a Jigmaster will handle anything you want and then some. I have caught Tarpoon over 200# on one and shark as well. I had a Tarpoon that looked to be in the 150# class just destroy a ABU 7000 BG. The factory told me it would be cheaper to buy a new reel than have that one fixed. That right there told me all I needed to know.

10. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    A few of the old timers here would say that the PENN Jigmaster 500 is the best reel made by the company, they don't make them anymore and they are not a level wind but I read on here somewhere that the world record cast for a reel with a 3 oz. weight was made by a PENN Jigmaster 500M if I'm not mistaken. They can be gotten from EBAY for under 50.00 in great shape, have one I bought a few years ago--it's built like a tank and casting is a little harder due to having to use your thumb as a stop.

11. waitinforwhiskers

waitinforwhiskers New Member

State:
    Port Lavaca, Texas
    I have two 209's one 9 one 220gt1 and one 220gt2 and I like them all. the best would have to be the 220gt1 it is a great reel and has given me no problems for the two years that I have had it. And it was used when I got it.

12. hnterrcc1951

hnterrcc1951 New Member

State:
    indiana
    one thing to keep in mind, they say the 220 penn has soft screw heads so when u take them for cleaning u might have a prob. if u are fishing from boat, cant beat 209 309 500.thats my op. hnterrcc