Penn drags and grease.

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by peewee williams, Oct 19, 2006.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Instructions change.Materials change.Things get upgraded.Some did.Some didn;t.My question is on Penn reels.The senators and smaller.Do you or do you not grease the drag washers that come in todays Penn reels or the replacement drags for them.We have Star and Lever Drags in these smaller reels.If so.Which?If not.Which?Thanks,peewee-williams

2. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i have a no.9 and all the gears get grease, everything else gets 3in1 oil.

3. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You put 3 in 1 oil on the drag washers?Thanks,peewee

4. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    no actually i usually dont tear it down that far, but im sure its overdue. and sense ya got me thinkin, i found a great website for instructions on drag r&r at http://www.smoothdrag.com/installation.html
    hope it helps.

5. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I put new drag washers in it. I like the washers sold by a company called Smooth Drag. Their products are called smoothies. They say no grease or oil on the drag washers. I'm very stingy withe lube on all my reels. Just when I think I may not be using enough, I stop.

6. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    1'st.I hope this is the reel that you wanted a photo for.I have been searching and have not found one for you.Please let us all know how the reel and drag works out.What all did you replace?What was the cost and source for parts?What lube do you use? You have much here that you could teach many of us.Thanks,peewee-williams

7. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    they were not expensive. I replaced the pinion yoke (it was bent) and dog spring (I lost it) and the idle gear(it was the original gear and the reel is not new). I got my drag washers from www.smoothdrag.com. They cost $3.00 for the drag washers and the fiber washer. I use a brand of lube called Reel Saver. They are synthetic oils and greases. For what it is worth I would not use sewing machine or 3 in 1 oil. They seem to migrate and wind up everywhere. My own rule of thumb is 'be stingy with the oil and grease'.