Penn Captiva live liner?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by MrFlathead, Jul 15, 2009.

1. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    Has anyone used one of these because i found 2 on sale for $49 a piece no tax and decided to pick them up for that price they are the 6000 series. I have a 6000 series regular captiva that I have had for the past 2 years and it is an ok reel but if the live liners last me 2 years that is my money worth i think.

2. 2quikmotorwerks

2quikmotorwerks New Member

State:
    murda valley CA
    i also own 2 of those reels and they both perform flawlessly and i owned them for a lil over 2yrs so far so good

3. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i have never used them but i saw alot of negative comments about them on either bass pro shop or cabelas website (can't remember which). was interested in one until i read about all the problems people were having with them. kind of shocked me to hear that as penn has a good reputation. hope they work for ya.

4. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il

LOL!!! it wasnt Bass Pro Shop or Cabellas that had the bad reviews, it was both! I saw that before I ordered them from catfish connection but they are regularly 74 i think and buying 2 for almost the price of one, maybe ill get lucky and one of them will be a good reel and the other can be for parts or something. If that all turns out bad maybe I can send them in to Penn for a new one and get the new model because they changed the Captiva a little bit. Who knows... wishful thinking i guess and my regular captiva has been a decent reel for the money. I have had to jerry rig some new drag washers and put 2 extra washers in it to get a level line on the bail beacause it all of a sudden stoped puting line on the bottom 1/8th of the bail and it was getting all knotted up BUT it still works after i fixeded all ups and thats all that matters to me. Now if i couldnt figure out how to get it to work then I would be upset but i usually can jerry rig about anything to make it work sub par.

5. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    uh oh, i just ordered to 5000 models from CC, they better work well

6. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    They are awsome reels!.......the only downfall is the live liner is not very loud.

7. 2quikmotorwerks

2quikmotorwerks New Member

State:
    murda valley CA
    like i said i love mine i have not had one problem with mine what so ever and i even fish them with braid

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i think any reel will do the job for flatheads, but blues, dont ask me, i aint found one that will cast out,

9. SeaBass

SeaBass New Member

State:
    Vermont
    I've had 2 of the older style Captiva 5000's (not the Live Liner) paired with 7' MH Penn rods for about 3 years now and I like them very much. No problems at all. I was shocked to see such poor reviews even for a low end Penn. If you do get a lemon I would think Penn would make it right.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I ordered two of the 6000 Penn model and paired them with US Tigers. Have not tried them yet.

11. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    Well I got them in the mail today and am headed to the river tomorrow so ill let ya know how they do spooled with 100# Tuffline and tipped with 40 foot of 30# Cajun Red Lightning.

For those who may not know I always tip my braided line with Cajun Red Lightning. It does a pretty good job at keeping your braided line out of the rocks when you use a long leader like that and it doesnt mess up casting distance either. I just clench knot them together and cut off the extra line from the knot after I pull them together as tight as I can. Another reason I do that is many of you know that braided line casts better and for those of you that have used Cajun know the pain that it can be with memory. By using only 40 or so feet of it, that gets my braided line out of the rocks and I dont lose much sensitivity from that little amount of mono. To tell you the truth Cajun line doesnt really stretch like the other monofilimints I have used but my method is the best of both worlds for me.

My benifits from my experience...

sensitivity
    low stretch
    casting distance
    abrasion resistance

Now on the clench knot make sure it is TIGHT and the extra is all cut off or you will have casting problems but if you are good with knots youll have no probs. With a 10 foot graphite Tica rod rated 2-8oz and a Penn captiva 6000 i can sling a 2oz sinker with half a bluegill a good 80-100 yard depending on wind.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  12. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i just got mine today and they seem pretty sturdy, kinda heavy. loaded em up with 25lb big game for backing and 30lb spiderwire for my main line. cant wait to try them