penn baitcast

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Nov 12, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    well i rigged up a pole with some heavyer line for flathead fishing but ive never used a reel like this

its one that doesnt have a guide for reeling line on the spool evenly but thats not my problem

its the casting :confused2: :confused2::confused2: i dont get how to keep the line from coiling

is there a thing on how to cast them well

help:tounge_out:

2. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Not to sure what you mean, is the line coiling because its heavy mono?:confuse:

3. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    It takes some practice to keep the spool from spinning faster than the line is going out.What reel. line size and weight are you casting?
    Jake

4. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We need some more specifics on your set-up. What I think your talking about is your reel doesnt have a "level-wind" on it and you have to use your thumb (moving it back and forth to place the line on your reel even, they use non-levelwind reels alot on the coast) The other situation sounds like you may have to set your spool brake to place some "resistance" on the spool for when you cast (how much tension, depends on the amount of weight your trying to cast) You may also need to use your OTHER thumb to apply GENTLE pressure on the spool as you cast to keep the spool from over spinning once your bait and weight have hit the water.(this prevents backlashs):wink:Hope this helps some! P.S. You should be able to get GREATER casting distance from a reel WITHOUT level-wind, but most people are used to this feature, and it takes a little practice to get used too!:big_smile:

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I understand perfectly what you are talking about the line spooling off. I too am new to baitcasters. I also have a large penn reel with no level winder. It can be very difficult to learn. I practiced one day with a 2oz. sinker. The first attempt was so bad that I had to cut the line off. Then I begin to tighten up the tension and soon was casting very far. Hang in there and you will soon be casting like a pro.