Penn 9

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by countrycat15, Aug 8, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hey guys i just bought a penn 9 and was wondering if it will hold up to some big blues and flatheads.also how good arethey on casting?.
    any info yall have will be apreccitated.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I know a lot of the older guys I surf fish with like them and they seem to do pretty well with them on fish up to about 30 pounds. I have not seen a much bigger fish caught by one of thoses guys though.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've got a couple of those 9M's on ugly stiks, and I have complete confidence in them. They aren't big reels, but they certainly are tuff. I run 65# PowerPro on both of them, and they carry their share of the load in my arsenal; probably use them more than any other, actually. I just like the physical size which is similar to the abu 6500's that I like, and the drag is very good on the Penn's.

4. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I have a lot of Penn reels, I think 1 9M. Mostly 500s. Tough reels to work with.

5. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Not much more I can add. I use them, I recommend them, quality and craftsmanship, designed to last. If it's in the water, your Penn will bring it to you.
    Don

6. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    i think it will handle any cat you hook.i never owned one but thinking of getting one i heard lots of good stuff abour penns. they rock ,, good luck brother