Penn 9, 109, 209, 309?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by tat_n_trapper, Feb 10, 2006.

1. tat_n_trapper

tat_n_trapper New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    which one for the big cats? I am going to be fishing lakes from shore and after the bigger channel cats. I want a reel that will cast well, stand up to the beating a cat puts on a reel, and will hold plenty of heavy line. I have been using a zebco 404 with 10# test cheap mono for the past 3 or 4 yaers. It holds up just fine but I have to take the thing apart for cleaning before every outing due to corosion and buildup, and after catching a few 10#+ channels it is getting kind of rough on the retreive.

2. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Any of those Penn reels should stand up to the pressures you are talking about. The larger the number, the larger the reel will be and the more line it will hold. As for casting, I can't give much advice. I use 309s and had a 209 but never tried to cast very far with them. Most of the time I would either drop the bait straight down or give it a lob and let the current take it away from the boat. I don't see why you'd have any problem casting though.

One thing you may want to pay attention to is gear ratio. The 209 has a lower gear ratio than the 309. I'm not familiar enough with the 9 or 109 to offer any advice. Gear ratio may not even be important to you. If not, any of the reels you are looking at should provide many years of service to you.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The 309 is a really big reel, and I can't see needing it for channel cats, if that's all you plan on using it for. For good casting, you'd be better off getting a jigmaster 500, but for best casting, get something in the Penn GT series.

4. tat_n_trapper

tat_n_trapper New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    do the jigmaster 500 or the gt series have levelwind?

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have a pair of Penn 9M reels I use for drifting and I love them. I haven't casted them far just off the side of the boat. I have 20 lb. Berkley Big Game Hi-Vis green line on them. For what your doing the 9M's will flip the bill.

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Mike, I don't think the jigmaster is levelwind, but the GT series are. I would go with the smaller of the Penns. I don't think you would need the line capacity of the 309 for catching channels, although it would be very durable. Vern

7. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    The Penn 9 will do what you want and cast very well. The pen 209 and 309 will be over kill. The Jigmaster will cast very well and is one the best if not the best casting reel Penn makes. But it is also over kill but if it can’t handle the fish then you did not want it from shore any way. It is not a level wind reel the GT’s are level wind and are great reels as well if you like level winds. I do have many level winds my self and I probably have more Penns than 99% of the people here on this site as I own over 30 of them and am always looking for more as a Penn collector. You will also find that I don’t care what ol George has to say PENN’S RULE!!!!.....LOL

8. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    the 109 is called the "knuckle buster" because the handle rotates with the spool so when one casts better git fingers outta the way or the knuckles git RAPPED! the #9 is a solid reel and casts very well from the shore and will hold up to any size cat you might run into.

9. nhra22

nhra22 New Member

Hum.... ok... since some of you have made some mistakes.. let me clear things up.... a 209 and a 309 have the SAME gear ratio. A Penn 9 also has the same gear ratio. ALL ARE 3:1

Next, a 209 and a 309 in terms of strength are equal... both have same features, same drag -- however, the spool is bigger on the 309. That is it. They are good workhorse reels. If you want smoothness and castability, get a 320/330GTI... they are basically the same but more refined.

10. nhra22

nhra22 New Member

Your zebco is getting rough because it is cheap junk. Designed for kids or for someone that MIGHT go fishing once/twice a year...

11. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I have a 209 Penn that I've been fishin' with sence 1972 with no problems and I never even cleaned it till 3 years ago.I only put a rule to my casting distance one time and it was on a 28deg.day with the reel spooled with 50lb mono and I cast a 4oz banker sinker 75 yds.

12. nhra22

nhra22 New Member

One of my hotspots is a drainage ditch that has to be fished from an abandoned bridge... one day from constant north winds, the water was gin-clear. Looking down into the water I saw a rod and reel. Snagged it with a rattletrap but couldn't get it up of course.. well... maybe a month goes by, I go back on a clear day and see it again, and pull it up this time. Looked like a rod someone handmade.. it had an old 209 on it.. the reel was pretty filthy, covered in mud and algae.. took it home, cleaned it, and 45 minutes later, it is acting like a brand new 209. I have no idea how long that thing was sitting under water but was pretty impressed.. granted at that point, I already owned 6 209's and 2 309's, I knew they were rock solid - this gave me a deeper respect for them.. the side plates had faded to a lighter RED than they were.. the reel had white handles so it was an older model.. could of been underwater for months.. even years maybe..

13. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've been using 209's for years, and they are hard to beat and very little work on them ever

14. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I have had a 209 for about six years and love it. I fish from the Shore, and while I do not need to cast very far, it works very well for me.

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The name of the game,is to enjoy!One of,if not the best,fisherman that I ever saw,fished with a Maxwell House reel(yup,a coffee can).He caught his small fish and bait on it and then used a hand made,wooden hand reels for big fish.They looked like the Cuban hand reels.I loved to watch that little,shriveled up,old asian man,through my binoculars.Top and bottom fishing.Spanish, Jacks and kings.How could he handle them?He would catch fish,when the rest of us couldn;t touch one.He fished with what he knew.Zebco 808s and 888s would handle most fish,and that is what you are used to.I have one of each,over 20 years old,well used and going strong.By all means,buy and learn different reels as you can afford them.Each type and size has it,s place and use.I have known people who formed thier hard core,rock solid opinion on the only reel,that they claimed,to have ever tried or used.Some people form their opinions,after trying many different models and brands.Both seemed to be just as solid in their convictions.I am not gifted,so I didn;t "just know" the answers.I allways have to learn.Make yourself happy,as you have to live with it.Advice is wonderful,but you have to decide.Just a old man,s opinion.peewee-williams

16. nhra22

nhra22 New Member

I was quick to shoot off my mouth about Zebco.. then I thought back to growing up fishing 4-5 days a week at the surf piers in Galveston... there was always an old black lady that fished the pier every day... every single time we went, she was there.. the 90th street pier in Galveston is 1/4 mile long with a 300ft T-Head at the end. She would fish at the very front of the pier. That had a sign that said :FISHING STARTS HERE, and she would be there fishing right next to that sign.. fishing in maybe 3-4 ft of water. That lady would outfish everyone at the pier. She would be catching 20-50lb Bull Reds, and landing them, on her own with no help. And she would use a Zebco reel. I remember myself thinking it was pretty big for a Zebco , but that is what it was.. she even used spark plugs as weights..

17. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Use what your comfortable with, and what you enjoy using. I like my C3 6500 and Penn 320 GTi for bigger fish, but when I'm fishing my local lakes for small to medium fish, I use either 300 or 308 Mitchells, or my good old Zebco 33s. Either has handled channels up to 12 lbs w/o any problems. I know an old guy who fishes channels every day, catches bunches of them, and uses nothing but 33s.:)

18. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    I am not what i would call an expert on Penn reels. I've owned alot but they were all big Senators for salt. I loved them all and i now only own a 7500SS and i recently bought a 209 levelwind. I love them both and havnt ever had a problem with a penn. I really like the Penn 209 its a great reel and i would recomend buying one and the $50 price tag is a big plus.

19. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    do yall think that a penn 109 or 9 would be to big for drifting. I dont plan on ne thing bigger than 10 lbs.
    I think it might be a little big but im die hard penn fan. do they got ne ting smaller with that same shape as the 109s?

20. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    They will both do the job and do it very well.