Penn 6500ss

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by vince, Jan 8, 2007.

1. vince

vince New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Anyone use this reel? If so let me know what you think. I have Cabela's points that I need to use up..

Penn 6500ss

Thanks Vince

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The Penn SS reels are good reals, not as smooth as the Shimano, but they're dependable.

3. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Vince;
    I have a Penn 9500SS that just dearly love. However, the model that came after that, the Penn 950SSm, is no where near the real that the SS series is!!! The don't have an adjustable "backlash" nor a click set on them either!
    I was so disgusted with Penn for screwing up a WONDERFUL reel that I started looking elsewhere!
    A few months ago I "pulled some strings" and got a new Fin-Nor OS9500 which will hold 600 yards of braid or 375 yards of 30 pound mono.
    Cabela's just put them on the market this month!:smile2: But I think they are calling them the "OS 95" but I'm not sure. Just search the "Fin-Nor" on the website and you will find them. Personally, I think they are quite a bit better made and of better quality than anything that Penn is making nowadays! I have heard of a few 6500SS, 7500SS, 8500SS, and my favorite, the 9500SS are still available, some still new in the box, on the Internet, I can't remember the name of that big one [dammit:angry: ] ... wait, just talked with my wife's ex and asked him since he buys a lot off the Internet. It's E-BAY!!!
    There is NOTHING wrong with the 6500SS if you can get it. The only thing is you might have to go to a braid to get the capacity you want with enough poundage to handle a new world record and have a fighting chance of landing it.
    Hope this helps. If I can help you further please feel free to contact me!:smile2:
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

4. vince

vince New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Coyote

The two I just bought I got them at Cabelas Bulk room or discount room...

Vince

5. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Vince;
    I think your referring to the "Bargain Cave" that Cabela's has. It's usually merchandise that have been:
    1. Returned for some reason; too small/large, wrong color/style, ect, and can't be sold as new.
    2. Items that have been discontinued for one reason or another.
    I got my Penn 9500SS from the bargain cave last year and the Penn Home Factory treated it as an Original Purchase with Full Warranty when I sent it in for a "Once Over" before putting it to use!
    I saved enough on the reel to pay for the shipping and all up to the Penn Factory and back!:smile2:
    Right now I am testing out the new Fin-Nor OS-9500 Spinning Reel. So far, from my limited testing {I'm not a cold weather creature like my mate; Raven, is!} it's going to be a Great Reel! :smile2:
    Thanks for the Feedback Vince!:smile2:
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]