Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All
Messaging from little old New Zealand.
Got given a Penn 500 reel from my dad and was wondering how old it might be.
It's at least 30 years based on what he said, could be older and was off his dads boat.
It has black/browny bakelite sides and a black plastic handle.
Raised text and I think a aluminium spool. Its coated in some finish of sorts.
Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
250 Posts
With that style handle i would think early 90s.other vintage penns had the colored football shape plastic handles.newer models had black handle like yours.its a workhorse that will do work for many years.

I'm not real well up on all the penns, but I do know that reel in particular, agree with poster above. Those old Penn's , if taken care of are tanks and will last forever.

I had an old 113H that I absolutely abused for years fishing for snook from bridges and amberjacks/grouper off shore. That thing handled anything that could swim, used to tighten the drag as tight as I could get it , load it up with 100# mono and hold on. Those penns from that era were simple but nearly indestructible.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have an old Penn 109. Really seems to be a nice reel but I've never used it. Had it gone completely through a year or so ago. Thing about it that bugs me is when it's in free spool the handle turns backward. But pull line out on the drag and it doesn't. Come to think of it, on free spool the handle turns no matter which way the line is going. Got it from a friend that dies in1995. He used to fish in the ocean with it. It's on what looks to me like a home made rod on old Herter blank. Heavy 5'8" boat rod with hardwood handle.

·
Registered
766 Posts
The penn 109 is good for fishing lures where you let the line/lure by hand or jigging of the side of the boat ,but casting sucks with the knuckle buster design.thats why penn came out with the no.9 with anti reverse a few years later to replace it.the no9 is exactly like a 109 except for handle and the anti reverse dogs.i use the 109 setups for steelhead plugging with side planers in the river.no casting involved.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The penn 109 is good for fishing lures where you let the line/lure by hand or jigging of the side of the boat ,but casting sucks with the knuckle buster design.thats why penn came out with the no.9 with anti reverse a few years later to replace it.the no9 is exactly like a 109 except for handle and the anti reverse dogs.i use the 109 setups for steelhead plugging with side planers in the river.no casting involved.
Thank you, interesting. I guess this reel must be pretty old?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Super hard to date penns but if its red/maroon in color with light green handles it's somewhere in the 50s to early 60s range.if its black with yellow handles and plastic spool its late 1940s.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I joined this group in 2001 and started looking for heavy reels. My first were Penn 155's. Looking on ebay I found a pair of 500's that were listed as parts reels. They needed a good cleaning and lube. They are maroon bakelite with red and white handles. Later I found a 500 S in red bakelite with a green handle listed as a parts reel. What I like about the 500's is you can change a spool in 10 to 30 seconds. On the 500 the left end plate comes off, on the 500 S the right gear plate comes off.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Super hard to date penns but if its red/maroon in color with light green handles it's somewhere in the 50s to early 60s range.if its black with yellow handles and plastic spool its late 1940s.
They made the reels for so long it almost takes a degree to date one 😂 but then again it's a testimony just how well made those old Penn's are.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts