The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 4/0 Senator off eBay reel is in great shape but the drag just isn’t right so I tore it down and found it has white fiber like drag washers. Did some checking they could be ceramic, not sure.
Either way it’s to thin of a stack the drag star turns two to three turns before it starts the drag working.
I do have a drag stack on the way, just wondered if anyone knows if there something special.

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts
I am curious about what you found J. Some pics would have been nice but can you describe the washers a little better. Are they a flexible fiber disk or are they rigid. Are they grease/oil coated or not.

The Penn Fierce I & II have fiber disks for their drag system and work rather well. They are oil soaked. The newest version, the Penn Fierce III has carbon fiber drag washers as the only upgrade and the older models can be retrofitted with these new carbon fiber drag disks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am curious about what you found J. Some pics would have been nice but can you describe the washers a little better. Are they a flexible fiber disk or are they rigid. Are they grease/oil coated or not.

The Penn Fierce I & II have fiber disks for their drag system and work rather well. They are oil soaked. The newest version, the Penn Fierce III has carbon fiber drag washers as the only upgrade and the older models can be retrofitted with these new carbon fiber drag disks.
There like white plastic and there 2 to 3 times thicker than other drag washers I’ve put in. They were greased. There are other typical looking drag washers also. Sorry I new I should have took pics.

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts
Thanks for the reply. We have several here that use Penn reels so maybe others will have something to add. But it is the off season and many are hibernating. lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. We have several here that use Penn reels so maybe others will have something to add. But it is the off season and many are hibernating. lol
I did a little more looking around i’m thinking now there Teflon. I will try to post some picks this weekend. Guess my still is change them or leave them

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts
As a general rule I would say to wait and see how they work. Then you will have a better idea if changing them would be a big enough improvement to make it worth the cost. From what I have seen it is usually about a $10 expense.

tight lines

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally got a break from the snow we’ve been getting I took it apart again and a closer look it was missing one brass washer and spring washer for the drag. Put it back together and it works great, I put It back on the pole and hooked a gallon jug of water and now have drag that adjust instead on either total on or off so guess the next test will be fishing. So sorry I got so into it I forgot to take pictures but I still think there Teflon.

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts
Picture would have been nice but most likely very few if any one will get one that old now. It is great that you figured out what was missing and got it taken care or.

I would rather see the catfish you haul in because you got it functioning properly again.

tight lines.,,,,,caused by good drag systems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I bought a 4/0 Senator off eBay reel is in great shape but the drag just isn’t right so I tore it down and found it has white fiber like drag washers. Did some checking they could be ceramic, not sure.
Either way it’s to thin of a stack the drag star turns two to three turns before it starts the drag working.
I do have a drag stack on the way, just wondered if anyone knows if there something special.
that is a bad a$$ big catfish reel, i have one and that reel will cast a mile with the right line and weight.
sounds like teflon to me to slick,Amazon.com: Smooth Drag Carbontex Penn Reel Part Senator 113H 4/0 - (6) Drag Washers: Sports & Outdoors
this reel has two spool spindle bearings, Penn Senator at Boca Bearings.
that is a great old reel , tuff and easy to work on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts