Penn 340 GTi

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by nuthinlikeacat, Sep 9, 2005.

1. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I recently purchased a Penn 340 GTi, and I must admit, it's the best. I have used many reels in my life, but nothing compares with this reel...period.

I definitely recommend this reel to any serious fisherman.

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    What kind of line,how much,and how does it do? Thanks,peewee-williams

3. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Forgot to ask about the rod,you have it on.Thanks,peewee-williams

4. Big Vert

Big Vert New Member

Super Levelwind GTi Series features a one piece graphite frame, oversized drag system with HT100 washers, sealed stainless steel ball bearings, oversized counterbalanced handles, stainless steel side plate rings and rugged clicker. Line capacity is 475yds of 30lb test. Gear ratio is 3.25:1.

5. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    nuthinlikeacat...... Man, I thought my 330GTi was huge until I seen the 340GTi and 345GTi. I don't think you will have any trouble with a flathead or bluecat spooling you. :) That is one monster reel that will do double duty as a nice saltwater reel. Abu

6. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Yep ABU...thats the reason I went and bought it..I was sick and tired of playing the reel and line game. my reel was either to small for the weight I wanted, or If I put the weight I wanted on, I got spooled out. I missed a really big one the spring of this year, and that was enough :cursing:

7. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    What lb. test line did you spool it up with? All mono or a superbraid on top of mono? I have the fear of getting spooled on my smaller reels like the 6000 series Ambassadeurs so I use a very small amount of 50lb. mono backing and alot of 50lb. Power Pro with a heavy mono leader on the end. I can see how the reel and line game works. You can use whatever you feel like with the line capacity of the 340GTi, gear ratio of your new 340GTi will get the job of turning them your way in a hurry. Good luck and hope you get another big one hooked and he won't have a chance this time. Abu

8. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have a Penn 345 GTI,and a Shimano Charter Special 2000 LD to use.The Penn is spooled with B.P.30lb.mono. and the Shimano with 20lb.Triline XT mono.The max. drag that I can handle is about 5 to 7.5 lbs.,with the rods tied off in case I drop it.The BIG reels,handles,ect.help me be able to use them.I do like to hear how the rest of you
    people rig up,use and like your rigs.I realy enjoy learning everything that I can about what I and everyone else uses.Thanks for sharing.It means a lot to me,as this is now my main fishing hole.peewee-williams

9. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Up until I bought my new Penn, I usually went with 30 lb mono, with a 2-3 ft 80 lb Gorilla braid liter....and I only got snapped a few times, but I got spooled many of times being I didnt have the heavier weight and smaller line capacity.

With my current setup I Use 50 lb Big Game with a 2.5 ft 80 lb gorilla braid liter. I really dont believe anything is going to snap that. It takes forever to burn that Gorilla braid with a lighter, and it's tough cutting with a knife. And unlike my other setups, with this new Penn reel, I have more line on my reel, and it's heavier test.

I have always been a mono guy. However, I do believe Fireline is the best line I have ever used... just dont like what it does to my guides. Never had luck with Spiderwire either...5 runs...5 times I've been snapped off! My best friend uses 80 lb Power Pro...He loves it and wont ever change. To each their own...the mono braid debate will go on forever....

10. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I got one myself this year...
    I have never caught a fish on it yet!
    Every fish I have caught (And I have caught plenty.. and some nice ones too!)
    have been on my Penn 209!
    What the heck is up with that????

11. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    It is funny that you mention that, because after I got my new reel it took forever to catch my first kitty...but after the first.... :D

12. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    I think it happens to most of us for some unknown reason. Everytime I take a new rod or reel out to put it through its paces I always catch all the fish on my older equipment even if I trade spots on the bank with the new equipment. I can't explain that one. :D Abu