Penn 330ld

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by rambilt, Jan 19, 2007.

1. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    Anyone have any experienced good or bad about this reel. Can this reel be use for Surf Fishing or it's strickly for trolling only. Can it be cast? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    I looked at it yesterday at Cabelas but I went for the 330GTI instead. Of course the reason was the difference in price. Well okay it's more of a WAF issue. The truth comes out!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    i dont believe you would want to be doing a whole lot of casting with a lever drag reel. I think you made the right choice with the gti they are top quality reels.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Rick, Congratulations no the new reel. I hope u catch lots of fish.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)

Lever drags are great systems. The usually are only on larger reels, but there is no reason the the reel would be more difficult to cast with a lever drag all other things being equal. I'd love it if a bait caster the size of a 6500 had a lever drag.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rick you will be pleased with the 330GTI. It will serve you well and should last you many years. Just for your info. Penn has just been bought out by Shakespear.:lol:

7. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey CJ21, I'm still waiting for the lake in my area to run dry maybe then I'll catch a lot of fish. :big_smile:

8. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey Mickey, I've read a lot about PENN lasting for a long time with little or no maintenance and yeah, PENN got bought out. We are going to see a lot of changes in shape and sizes that's for sure. I just hope the quality stays the same.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    suprize abu makes a 6500LD

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I guess if you stay around, you'll find one of everything here. That lever drag on the 6500 looks a bit cumbersome, though maybe not. I've not seen it on the Abu site, wonder if its a European reel. Abu makes reels sold in Europe, but not sold here that are prized by many, especially the 6500 variations.

11. shaddaddi

shaddaddi New Member

State:
    smith mountain lake,VA
    hey Gadzooks- have you seen the charter specials from shimano?