Penn 330 GTI

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Hawk33, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have one of these reels, and love it !!!
    I recommend one !!!

Little big, but works well with those bigger cats !
    I load it up with 60 lb. and it never fails !!!

Wanted to know if anyone has one of these reels, and their personal review on the Penn 330 GTI...

HAWK :smile2:

2. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Hawk33 I have a 320 GT2 which is the next size down and it is big too. Even with it's size the reel cast and works like a dream. I highly recommend either of these for big cats. There are still a lot of the US made ones available.

Cheez

3. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    I have two and I do love them. theyare a little big for me, but that what you get for ordering on line and not being able to see and hold your product. It is a WONDERFUL reel and VERy powerful, just alittle hard to handle on a rod when fighting the fish. I line with 80 lb power pro and it holds about a 1/4 mile!!!!!! I am in the process of getting two more outfits with abu garcia 7000ic3's, but I have yet to hold those either, anyone know how big they are?

4. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Gethooked I just bought a 7000iC3 and it is a lot smaller than the 330 Penns you have. It is slightly larger than a 6500 Abu. To me it is a perfect size for a big cat reel and the handle is a kind of soft rubberized deal. Much more comfortable than the previous Abu T handles. I mput mine on an Ugly Stik Tiger rod and it feels pretty near perfect.

Cheez

5. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I have a 7000iC3 and I love it....Good tight reel with instant anti-reverse....It's got the stud on the spool to tie your braid to and it won't slip.....Nice reels.....I also have in the back of my email a pdf file from Abu Garcia that shows the breakdown and the lube points of the real.....I don't know how to send it, other than to forward the email....Dwight

6. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I have 320 GTI on a 14 foot rod and love it. I fish the Arkansas river a lot. The river has a lot of flow and it works great for me.:big_smile:

7. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I dont know if you are familiar with the penn 310 or not but the 7000 is closest to the 310 as far as size goes . And depending on which 7000 you get will cost . No correction all 7000's cost more than the 310 new . Now lets weigh this out abus will cast further than the gti series in capable hands , is distance needed ? The 7000 engages automatically when the handle is turned the 310 does not will you remember to engage the 310 ? Will you be using in or around salt water at all the 310 was built for this enviroment and the fish that swim it although the 7000 has faired ok when taken care of properly with TLC it was not built for this over extended use , the rerieve ratios are the same it boils down to what you are comfortable with ultimately , check the library read threads ask questions to members indivisually if need be about there likes and dislikes but if you can perhaps handle one of a friends or maybe ask a stranger , most fisherman like to show off there gear if the chance is given or tell you there dislikes if that be the case . This man loves the piece of mind that i get from my penn reels . they are solid dependable reels that have proven them selves time and time again in the record books and to me as a recreational fisherman , and yes i do own a abu 7000 , 6000 and 5000 . I changed my 7000 for a 320 gti on my MH tiger , switched my 6000 for a 209 and the 5000 was retired by my peerless 9 recently and honestly the 6000 could have and probably will be replaced by another 9 as soon as i can win another auction LOL . Geez did i start rambling or what .

8. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I liked the statement that the 330 holds a 1/4 mile of line on the spool :lol:

I ordered mine of the net and when it came my mail box was tilted from the weght and size :lol::lol::lol:

HAWK

9. dex

dex New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a 330 and love it. I use it mainly in log jams spooled with 50lb big game. Believe me it pulls em out of the logs.

10. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I bought 2 220 gto's.. They are a little smaller than the 320, but I love them.. I won't buy anything else from here on out.. I know some people prefer Abu's.. I gave away 2 6000's.. It'll be Penn from now on..

11. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have two 330 GTI reels thay are big but not too big.50 lb wal mart line and set the drag . 38 lb flathead/56 lb Black Drum/ and many 100 lb plus sharks. these things are like wenches lol

12. Shinchan

Shinchan New Member

State:
    HI but now WA
    I have two 330 GTIs and they're great for the tuna around here-just be careful NOT to get your fingers near the line winder while the fish is running or you'll get a nasty pinch and a friend who's out of breath from laughing too hard...

13. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    I got his & hers (matching outfit for my girl) 310 gti with mh ugly tiger spooled with 80 gorilla wire. Best setup ive ever touched. 310 is very similar in size to 7000. Never fished with a 7000 but I feel good continuing to go with Penns from here on out.

14. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I had one but I sold it, it's just too bulky and heavy for me, now I have a 310 and a 320.

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have a Penn 345 GTI spooled with 600 yards of 30 lb. mono. on a Daiwa Beefstick rated for 15-50 lb.I figured my son just might take it in saltwater for King Mackerel and the various Jacks of the Georgia coast along with Cat fishing.I believe in over kill,not under kill when ever possible.All of my larger reels of all types are saltwater rated,as I use to fish it regularly.In my 62 years I have seen many nice freshwater reels ruined by use in saltwater.You are prepared if you go to the coast with your reel.I never had a rig of any kind that I felt too heavy when I worked and was in shape.Not now!I do handle the "Big rigs" better as I often have to fish by sight as I have little feel.I have gotten many comments about bream fishing with it and my other big reels,but they let me fish far better than my lite ones when I can not feel them.Weird,but it works for me.I hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine.Keep it in mind if you ever go fishing with someone with crippled up hands.They may find the largeness easier to work and control.Just tie it off as I do so you won;t lose it if they drop it.That also works with some of the "experts"if you want to keep your rig.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee