Penn 330 GTI

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by goodyear, May 8, 2007.

1. goodyear

goodyear New Member

State:
    Lawton oklahoma
    I just bought two 330 gti's at the bass pro shop. this is my first time i have owned a penn reel I hope I made a good choice. I am going to focus on large blues and flatys.

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That reel will do the job and then some. I also have two of them. I use them for shark fishing and have landed several over 200 # My biggest I was told would go over 600 # but I believe it was more like 400 #. At any rate they are OK reels and most suited for fishing almost under the boat or drop your bait and with open reel drift away from your bait. Somewhat heavy for casting.

Good luck
    Danny

3. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    What size line do you use on your reels for shark?I have bought a couple Penn 68's to try for shark in Panama City this fall and haven't decided on line yet.
    Jake

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think that reel will do the job.

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use 80 # test mainline and 100 to 130 #leader for shark fishing. I like Andre for saltwater but mostly use whatever kind the local bait shop is spooling. I change line often in saltwater.

Danny

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Those 330 Gti are good reels. Little heavy but will get the job done. :lol: :big_smile:

7. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I had one and sold it, it's too much reel for me, it's too heavy and bulky for me and difficult to cast but I do most of my fishing from the bank, it's still a good reel, just too much reel for me and the fishing I do. I have a 310 gti and a 320 gti, the 310 I use about every time a fish and I like it much better than the 330 but this is just my opinion and preference.

8. roofer1

roofer1 New Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    my 330 casts good even with 80 lb. mono. i can actually cast it farther than most of my other rigs. i've enjoyed using it when bankfishing at the dams because of how far i can cast with it. i've got it on an 8 ft rod usually swinging about 5 oz. of lead.

9. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Will probably go a little lighter than 80 lb. but will use the Ande if I can find some locally or wait until I get down on the coast and have them filled.Was fishing with a fellow last fall at St. Andrews who landed a black tip over five foot on 12 lb. line.Where do you shark fish?
    Jake