PENN 330 GTI reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by rambilt, Jan 20, 2007.

1. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    I drove to Cabelas in Buda today to exchanged the 230GTO with the 330 GTI. when I got home I noticed one is made from China and the other is made in the USA. Anyone have any idea why different origin? The cosmetics are the same. It cranks smoothly, it has spool tensioner and the clicker is loud. I couldn't see any difference between the two except for where they were made. Just recently, Shakespeare bought out PENN. Could that be, PENN will no longer be made in US. Do you guys think the quality will go down or go up?

2. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Yeah, I Heard That Shakepeare Bought Penn But I'm Not Sure If That's Why Your Reel Said China. I Hope This Buy-Out Doesn't Effect Penn's Quality.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think all Penn reels are now made in China

4. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    I just hope the quality stays the same.:eek:oooh:

5. mwmuck

mwmuck New Member

State:
    Texas
    Penn reels have been manufactured in China for a while now. Only the Senators and Internationals, I think, are still made here. You can still find other models that have the "Made in USA" label but they are old stock.

Being taken over by Shakespeare could be good or bad. It will be according to what the new owners want to do with Penn. They may want to get into the mass production of cheaper reels or they may want to continue the good name that Penn has always had. I would hope that would mean getting the manufacturing back in the States but not many companies are moving into the US. Shakespeare also owns Pflueger and has increased the quality of that line.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I expect Penn will drop some of its saltwater line. It would be sad, but I don't see the 9 series of reels surviving. Hopefully, Shakespeare will use some of the Penn knowledge to improve the Tidewater series of its reels. The big game reels like the Senator will survive, maybe things like the International Baitcaster, though that's not a high volume reel. Shakespeare could certainly learn a few things about reels from the Penn folk.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am not sure how will it affect the quality. My Shakespeare Tidewater Freeliner Spinning Reel is made in China and I have not had any problems with it.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Im hoping thinking they will leave the production and sutch the same and just take in the profits.

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The reason Penn moved production to China was because of profits, they'd declined. Penn hasn't done well for some time. Daiwa and Shimano have been beating up on them in the salt water department and they had little money for marketing. Thus, the deal with Shakespeare.

10. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Rick, you didnt like the 230? I was just thinking of gettin one and was gonna ask if anyone had a 230 and get some feed back.

11. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    Heavyduty, the truth is, I'm not sure if I damaged one of the reel or I was shipped a defective reel. I installed both of the reels the same way but the other one seems to bind a little when you crank it. Even when I flipped the switch to free spooling it doesn't spin as freely as the other. So I made a decision to exchange them both just to be in the safe side.

The reels looks really nice. I think the 230 looks better than the GTI because it has more chrome. The good one spins and crank smoothly. When I flipped the switch of the good one to free spool it really spun faster and longer than the other. But since I don't have any experience with this type of reels I choose to exchanged them both. The GTIs I tested before I paid for them. Just to be sure.

Please don't let my experience scare you to buy the reel for yourself. I order the GTO's on line. So I was not able to test them. You might want to check them out first before you take the plunge. Good luck!

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I have the 220 gto and it is super smooth, except when i reel with the clicker on witch your not supposed to do anyway. maybt the clicker was partially enguaged??? maybe it didnt get lubed up good at the factory???