Penn 320gt2

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Bravesnflat25, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Bravesnflat25

Bravesnflat25 New Member

State:
    Anderson
    I just got the reel from Special Liberty. The Reel is super sweet. Throws good does everything right. The problem is I do not what rod to put it on. I currently have it on Berkley Big Game 7 M/H Rod. But I am going to fishing Fallen trees and lots of timber. I really do not think this rod will hold up. I am looking at a Shakespeare Sturdy Stick. But I am really do not know how good of rod they are. So I am asking you would rod would you put this best of a reel on. I NEED HELP.

2. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    It Depends On What Kind Of Budget Your On, These Rods Are On The Expensive Side But I Would Recommend A Jim Moyer "The Boss", An Ugly Stik Tiger, Or A Surge Rod.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've got one mounted on a sturdy stik, set up for flatheads, and it does really well. Not a long distance caster, but I don't need it to be, for my use. I bought the reel as a combo, mounted on a Penn Slammer rod. I liked the slammer, but the guide eyes were crap. I replaced the tip with a new fuji, but several of the other ceramic guides are chipped up, so I took the reel off and put it on the spare sturdy stik. I don't know if I could hurt that rod.

4. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Glad you like the reel. I had it on an 8 foot Cabelas King Kat M/H rod. Worked well on large tidal river blues - never used it around timber or other structure of that type. Haven't had a chance to try out the 6500 yet - it's 22 degrees!! It was clean and in good shape as promised.

5. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Dustin, I've got that same reel and I have it mounted on a 7' med. action (20 -50 lb.) Shakespere Ugly Stick Tiger rod. The rod has a fairly limber tip for light bites and a alot of backbone in the butt section. IMHO this is one of the best combos for that type of fishing.

6. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    I have the same reel and have it on a 7 ft. Ugly Stick Tiger M/H action rod. This combination is a strong powerful combination. If you can cast this style of reel fairly well then this a good rod for you to reach out a ways but still have lots of power.

7. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I got 5 of the 320 GT2's, all mounted on 7' MH Ugly Stik Tigers.

Catfish Connection had the cheapest prices on the rods that I could find.

Can't beat the combo.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Well it depends on what size cats u is trying to catch.