Penn 320 LD

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by barbel, Mar 23, 2006.

1. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I was thinking about getting one of these, and I would like to know if there are any advantages that anyone can see over the regular star drag on the Gt2. It looks like a wonderful reel, and has three more ball bearings than the Gt2 version, and I suppose that would be good for casting purposes, and I am a bank fisherman. So what would you suggest? Star or lever drag?

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I thought I'd break down and get a lever drag reel myself. Bought a 320LD about 2 weeks ago and still haven't got to cast the darn thing, stupid cold weather its suppost to be spring. The LD doesent have a cast brake so you better be able to use your thumb. If your gonna spend the coins on a 320 a ld is about 30 more. I read on here they are pretty great circle hook reels set your clicker fish takes off slide up the drag let the hook do its job, no sudden stop of the reel engageing just a steady increase of preassure. I love mine and I havent even got to cast it. Something to think about I've been looking on e-bay for reels and ive seen alot of 320 gti's used not verry many if any LDs. Must be worth keeping:)

3. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    i just bought two of the 320 LD reels but have not had the chance to use them yet i put them on ugly stick tiger rods i believethey will preform very well

4. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have had one for about 3 monthes! I think the main it advanatage is the absolute controll over the drag! It is really nice for fishing in heavy current because you can move the lever just enough to keep the current from taking line and still have the "bait alarm" set! When a fish takes your bait and the alarm sounds, you push the lever up to a stop, which is pre set, ideal drag. You can move the lever pass the stop to lock the drag down! If you are fishing with circle hooks, you can set your drag so the rod loads up, yet will give line to keep your rig from being carried off. I personaly think that it cast better with mono then super braid! It does take an educated thumb to cast! I think it's hard to beat as a big game reel! I have mine paired with a 8' seeker
    Rod rated for 15(25)40 and I love it!:cool:

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Travis, I use the 310GTI's with the star drag, but I can see where the lever drag would be an advantage in some situations. A lot of times fishing rivers, the current is such that it pulls the clicker unless I engage the drag a little. This means when I get a bite, I have to fumble with the star drag, being careful to tighten, but not to over tighten and break the line. With the lever drag, you just preset it for a good range, and then engage when needed, no worries.

Phil, I had never put mono on my baitcasters before. Earlier this year, I spooled one of my Penns with 30lb mono, and I'm amazed at how well it casts. I'm not ready to toss out all of my Powerpro, but I'm leaving the mono on that one reel to play around with for now :)

6. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Well I plan to be fishing rivers a lot this year, so if what you say is true then the LD will be good. As for the circle hooks, that is great, although chances are I will be using my good ol' J hooks. And all of those are some of the advantages that I have seen towards the lever drag. I love how you can just preset the range that you have to play with too. As for the casting, it shouldnt be a problem. I have been using baitcasters for a few years now, and I have few or no problems with any of them nowadays. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it :0a1: