Penn 320 GTO

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by MadKater, Dec 17, 2005.

1. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    Anyone have one of these? i seen one for the first time at BP yesterday,they are very nice looking reels,i ordered a Abu Garcia 6500 trophy class reel and decided to cancel that order and get the penn.i hope i didnt make the wrong choice,but from what ive seen its hard to go wrong with a penn.only penns i have ever owned are the old 209s a senator and a squidder all of them where old reels but worked flawlessly for th etime i had them.so does anyone own the 320 GTO and if so what are the pros and cons about them?....thanks

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont have one of those reels, but they are one sharp looking reel and I would like to get one in the future!

3. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    I'm looking at buying two 310 GTI's ($75 each) at a local bait shop. Does anyone know what the difference is between the GTO and the GTI? Also, can I beat the $75 price tag anywhere?

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The GTO's come from China, while the GTI's are made in the USA. The specs look good on the GTO's, but they are new enough to not have a track record yet.

$75 for a 310GTI is a good price, I think I paid $73.99 at Minnesota Bait or Mickey's Surplus. The mail order places will cost more.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    The 320 gti is graphite and the 220 gto is stainless, if your useing super braid line the stainless spool seems to work well. The ld model has a lever drag system the gt models have a star drag.
    Madkatter you made the right choice, you won't be disapointed with your new reel.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yep, I always say it's hard to go wrong with a Penn reel. There my favorite reel company. I've never had any trouble with any of my Penn reels. :)

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Kris,
    I have a few 320 GTI's. They are very strong and reliable. They aren't the best casting reels I have ever used but not the worst either by a long way. I think you will like the GTO if it's anything close to the "I"...W

8. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    i have the 320 gt2 .. the newer version of the gti

great reel .. they're a little "clunky" .. not as smooth as my abu big game 10000 .. but its a tough powerful reel and sure gets the job done

9. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    thanks for the replys folks.......ill probably end up spooling it with some Fireline or maybe some power pro and im going to stick the reel on a quantum big cat when i get it.the price of the reel wasnt bad at all and if i like it i plan on buying another one.they sure are some sharp looking reels,i love the look of that chrome.

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Cool, make sure to let us know how you like it......It's not too late for me to ask for one for christmas......... ;) :D

11. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    currently I own 8 320gt2 and gti reels and several 7000garcias. I would never buy another garcia as long as penn is still making the gt2's. The Penn 320's are tough as nails and will flat crank the big boys in. You definetly made a great choice.

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Slimcat, can I have your Abu 7000's? :p

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm getting ready to get a penn 320 gti for $30!!! Brand new too with a power handle! Boy I cant wait to break that bad boy in.... :D

14. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    Got my reel in the mail today..wow! this thing is built like a tank!! im sure itll handle anything ill ever get ahold of..and its a Penn 220 gto not a 320,dont know why i said a 320.but im really happy with it. :)

15. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Madcatter, I just bought a 220GTO on Monday . Totally awesome reel. Used it yesterday on the Mississippi. Works great. The clicker is extremely loud. If you sleep through the nite with the 220gto clicker going off then you were totally out of it.

16. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    AWSOME! thanks for the report,i have not got to us mine yet but i will be using it this weekend,cant wait to see what it will do........i noticed the clicker as well,it is extremly loud.i plan on buying another one about mid january.