Penn 320 gti /7' mh ugly tiger combo

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by anakin, Jun 13, 2006.

1. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    This is the new combo i been thinking about getting.

Went to local tackle shop & put the reel on the pole & checked it out.

Reel almost seemed too heavy duty for the pole. Seems like i would have a

heck of a time getting any distance on my cast as well (mainly bank fishing).

Also was wondering if you guys think it'll take me a long time to get down the

casting, ive been using a 6500 more then a couple years now. What do you

guys think? This will be my second pole for big cats , already own a 7 ' mh

ugly cat/6500 cl3 combo.

2. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have 3 320's like em never failed me yet, brought in lots of big flats with em.Have a tiger rod also no complaints.:cool2:

Attached Files:

3. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Well, I have a 320LD (admittedly it has 6 ball bearings) attatched to an American Premier OTS Supreme 7' rod, and it is the best casting outfit in my whole arsenal. I tried out the 320 gti at Cabelas and it seemed as though it was about the same make, so casting shouldnt be a problem. As for the Ugly Stik tiger, I dont have much experience with those, but if you want a good rod to fit the reel, try the American Premier OTS Supreme. You can order them from Catfish Connection, which is the only spot I have been able to find them. Great rod though :big_smile:

And also, any Penn fishing reel that I have used, I find its best to just thumb the spool slightly. That will take care of almost any problems you have. Just rest your thumb on it, dont press, really.

4. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I find that really helps with my 209's

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Mark I have a combo just like that and I love it. I don't thInk you will be disapointed. Bigcatman0816.:big_smile:

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I think it would be a killer combo to heavy reel no the rod is rated 30-60# test line.

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have the 320ld also, matched with a 8' seeker rated to 40lbs! With 25 pound line, I can sling it pretty far and it can handle anything in fresh water and a good deal of the ocean (3weeks to ling cod season:big_smile: )!

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    if Your worried about casting distance Maybe You should consider a longer surf casting type rod. Penn also makes some Great surf rods that would match up real nice with that penn reel

9. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I had that combo for a bit. i ditched the reel. It was a solid reel but if you tried to all out sling a big bait it would nest on me every time. People that think they cast ok have them on longer rods, I've noticed. I think my mhtiger does ok with about 4oz of weight. If you load it with 6-8oz and a big baitfish it is overloaded and doesn't cast far. It always seems like I would like to cast just a little farther. I would guess I could get maybe 30 yards out of it at risk of getting a big tangle, maybe it was not that far, it has been a long time. good luck.

10. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    How well do you guys think a 310 gti or a 220 gto would match up with the same ugly tiger i was mentioning above? I know they hold less line then 320 gt2 but ive been using gorillia wire braided line & dont think thats really gonna be an issue. Appreciate all the responses & suggestions..

11. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    the 310 gti is a awesome reel have 1 also.. i would compare to the abu 7000 in size

12. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    if the Penn is more powerful then the abu 7000 , why is it just a 15 lb test reel? im thinking about going with the 310 gti or 220 gto , trying to do as much research as possible but its very hard finding specifics on these two reels. What r the big differences & which would you guys suggest i go with? Do you guys think the 310 gti would still pair up with the 7 ' mh tiger rod?

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Flathunter has this same exact combo & I dont think he likes how the Penn casts, but loves the drag on the Penn. I know that he really like the rod.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mellon is right I have that combo..And as he says the drag on the penn is great..The ugly stik tiger m/h is such a stiff rod it lacks in casting distance, I usally get a slight backlash every time I cast it.