Penn 310GTI vs. Ambassador 7000

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by birdnest, Feb 7, 2006.

1. birdnest

birdnest New Member

Looking for some friendly advice.
    Not new to fishing, but don't have any serious experience chasing BIG Cats yet. Caught my share of In-Shore species in the salt,and I have a fancy for chasing big fish in my kayak and taking a Nantucket sleigh ride. I've yet to break the 20 lb mark with cats. Red fish, etc., that another story, but I digress.... Anyway, I have an Ambassador 5600, 6500, Penn 310 GTI, and Penn 5500SS, But I am torn between using a match set of the 310GTI's or trying the ABU 7000. There ain't enough price difference to spit at, but I'm interested in the finer points concerning these two reels.
    Also.....
    I hear a lot about the braided and superlines. Pro's and Con's. I've tried and really like the Berkly Transition in 17# on my 5600-C4 which is a flouricarbon, but I am really interested in the braids. Am I best to stick with the old tried and true mono in the 30# range because of the line stretch? If any of ya'll are using the braids or fused lines for big cats, what do you like?, Is it true it eats up the rod guides? I have yet to see these newer lines offered in packages bigger than you'd load on a 3000 series bass rod (~130 yds). With 50# line in 10# dia. that sounds like a pretty naked looking spool. You sacrifice a lot of casting distance if you don't keep a full spool. Do you load 2 packages on the spool? What knot do you use to tie the lines together if you do?
    What knot do you use for terminal tackle? Are you using mono leader? If you get hung on the bottom are you pretty much screwed?
    The last time I tried new line besides the Transition, it was the Berkley Ironsilk. I hated it! Had it on my Penn 310 and 209 for about 3 casts each and sripped it all off and threw it out! I have heard if you get a real professional overcast going on your baitcaster (As I have been known to do from time to time) you might as well get out your pocket knife and save yourself some time. Is this true? Does it seem to perform better on spinning reels or baitcasters. Maybe I just need to warm up to this stuff gentle like?!
    Anyway, your input is, as always, greatly appreciated.

Tightlines,
    Birdnest

2. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I'd be sold on both reels. I have a 7000 and really enjoyed what little time i've fished with it. The 310 gti i've yet to fish with but if its half as good as a 209 i'd be sold on it too.

I've tried a few braids and with spiderwire i didn't care for how it turned out fuzzy and ribbonlike and what i mean by that is it turned out flat and widened out. I changed to powerpro and so far i am more than happy with it. You can buy it in 150, 300, 500, 1000, or 1500 yard spools which will more than fill up any reel. I had bought a 150 yard spool for a 6000 series and fished with it the last half of the year and it still looked new. So i broke down and bought a 1500 yard spool to fill up a few reels that i got on christmas. As for birdsnest so far i picked everyone i had out. Most only took a few minutes and back to some fishin. At almost 30 dollars on a spool i would have to think long and hard about cutting it off. Hope it helps.....

3. nhra22

nhra22 New Member

I would bet the 7000 might cast farther... but the 310gti would be a much stronger reel, with a stronger drag...

4. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Birdnest. I have 3 abu 700C3s . I love um. I dont have any experience with the penn, but what I read on here they must be really great reels. For ease of handling. If you like the penn get another. If you just want to try a different reel. You wont go wrong with the abu 7000. The drag is strong enough for any fish you will catch in fresh water.

As far as the line. I switched to power pro. I use 80/20. That is 80 lb break strength 20 lb mono diameter. I only use palomar knots with this line. I have never had one fail. I generally use a 40 to 50 lb mono leader. I tie the main line to a heavy swivel then the mono leader to the swivel. If I snag on the bottom all I have to do is wrap the main line around a 3/4 inch dowel rod and gently pull until the mono breaks. I have yet to lose or have to cut the main line of my reel. When it comes to birds nest I think the power pro is easier to undo than mono. JMHO

As far as filling up a reel with it. I loaded about 50 yards of mono as backing it fills the reel and gives the power pro something to grip so it doesnt slip on the spool. I used an albright knot to tie the two lines together. then finished filling the spool with the braid. I also think the braid cast futher than mono. Slips thru the guide better. Hook sets are extreme with little or no stretch. You have to reduce the drag seting when using braid verses mono. If you dont you can ruin the reel and risk ripping the hook out of the fishes mouth. I have had power pro on three reels for 4 years and still as strong as the day I loaded them. So the cost factor is not a factor. As far as the pwoer pro cuting the guide I havent had a problem yet. My rods are high end. 2 St croix and one berkley E-Cat. I check the guides with a Q tip and no problems. I have seen power pro cut the guides on cheaper quality guide though.

try some. You might be surprised. Remeber. You will have to use the higher test braid to get the abrasion resistance you will be looking for. I feel that the braid has the abrasion resistance of the diameter of mon that it is. 4/15 15/30 20/80 and so on. Good luck.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    With Power Pro or Spiderwire. After spooling up. The first time your on the water I run the whole spool off behind the boat. Then put it back on. This puts it on the spool good and tight. Cuts way down on the overruns.
    Pete

6. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Seems like most of your questons were answered. These guys are good:) No one mentioned braids tearing up the guides. The early super lines I believe had a silicone type coating on the line. Thats is what was wearing down the guides. To my knowledge, all of the superbraid manafactures have addressed this problem. I have braids on several rods with stainless guides and have noticed absolutely no wear! That being said, I think superbraids are over rated! Braids to me are just another tool to serve a specific purpose. When I have 300 yards of line out then the no stretch is a must. To get 300 yards on a reel, the small dia. is a must. The 0 memory is nice for spinning reels! Other then that, I dont think you can beat a good quality mono like, p-line, sufix, andie, maxima and others.

7. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    heres my 2 cents i fish with 2 310gtis and 2 320lds i love them both but have yet to try abus

8. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I have an ambassaduer 6000 and a Penn 310GTi. I have no experience with the 7000, but the Penn is hands down a much better and more heavy duty reel than the 6000. I like that 6000 and use it all the time, but my Penn is just a better reel. My penn even knows what the bottom of our river looks like. LOL It recently took a trip to the bottom while I was fishing with Canepole one day. 40 feet deep too. I refused to let it go and fished it back out on my 5th cast with the 6000 and a big hook. LOL Lucky me I'd say. So I guess that makes the 6000 a great search and rescue reel. LOL As for Powerpro, I'll never go back to mono now that I've gotten used to it. I do the same thing Pete does though. Run it off from the back of the boat and reel it in against the current for straighter and more tightly wound on line. Works much better for me that way.

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I said it before and I'll say it again.

If that 310 came in L/H retrieve its all I would own!

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I would go with a 320.
    Catfish Connection has them for 1 dollar more than the 310 and they will hold more line. Penn drags are hard to beat.

George the 321's are left handed.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got an Abu 6500 loaded with PowerPro because it won't hold enough 30# mono to fish with; and the drag system isn't good enough to hold a serious fish. But it's fun to use for the little kitties. I'm planning to buy a Penn 320 for serious catfishing; I've got a 309 and a jigmaster 500, but I want a Penn that casts even better.

12. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    My reel of choice issssssssssssssssssssss:penn 320GT2. I have 10 currently and may get more later. The powerpro is awesome, you can get by with not having to set the hook as hard with powerpro over mono anyday.

13. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive never owned any penns but i do own two Abu 7000s and like them alot.Ive never had any trouble out of either one great reels.

14. birdnest

birdnest New Member

Thanx guys.
    I think I'll go with the match set for now and maybe later this summer I'll try the 7000. Sounds kinda like I'm a little spoiled.
    As far as line goes, it appears the general concensus seems to be the Power Pro. I guess I'll give it a go.
    Now all I gotta do is figure out how to get me and my little kayak over some big hungry cats.
    Next project after finishing up the rack I'm building for the truck, is mounting my little Humminbird fishfinder on my plastic boat. Looks like things this spring are going to be pretty awsome.

Any recommendations for reliable deep cycle batteries? Please don't recommend "Everstart".

Tightlines,
    Birdnest

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use and have both..The penns have a better drag, but I can cast the abu's farthur..My biggest flathead of 50-lbs came on a Abu 6500, and this fish was in current.

16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Never used a Penn but last year I bought two 7000cl big game to go with my two 7000c3s. The c3s are 120 dollar reels, the CLs are 199.And I have to say the cl is a sweet reel. Heavier than the c3, Sturdier,beefier inside, louder clicker,stronger spool (with a pin to tie line to) instead of directly to the spool. It just casts smoother and feels smoother on the re-wind. I got both CLs at the abu factory overstock site for 119. If you want the address send me a PM. As for powerpro I bought a 1500 yrd spool on e-bay for 40 cheaper than the bass pro catalog last year. Last year was my first using it, but it is a great line. I have nothing bad to say about it. I am using E-cat rods and had no guide trouble.

17. nhra22

nhra22 New Member

Braid is superior to mono in EVERY respect. There is no denying it. The only advantage that mono has over braid is usually the price. Let's see....

1. Braid is WAY stronger than mono.
    2. Birdsnests come out of braid easier.
    3. Braid is waterproof --- mono soaks up water and rots.
    4. Braid is highly UV resistant -- the suns rays help rot mono.
    5. Braid is MUCH more sensitive than mono.
    6. Because it's diameter is smaller than mono, you can get farther casts without sacrificing line strength.
    7. It's nice being able to simply PULL back a snagged leader. Even if it's connected to a tree stump. It's even nicer to be able to get my snagged lures back. Thanks to braid. Now, what are some of mono's advantages when compared to braid??

18. nhra22

nhra22 New Member

30lb mono is WAY too big for a 6500.. Line that big on a reel like that can be damaging to the reel.. ask Abu if you don't believe me.. 30lb is really TOO big for a 7000 let alone a 6500.. and I know already.. some of you got yours spooled with it, and your dad's had theirs spooled with heavy line, and everything was hunky-dory ever after... but like I said, contact Abu and you will find out what line too heavy can do to your reel. :)

19. Bravesfan257

Bravesfan257 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey I was thinking about getting that Penn 320 I was wanting to know how good do they cast. I have been looking at that reel and I just did not know how good it would cast. I am thinking about putting that 80lb power pro on it

20. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    i love the way the penns cast but have never put 80lb line on it i use 40lb with a 80lb leader