PENN 310GTi Super Level Wind Reel ....

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by RetiredToFish, Feb 20, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Has anyone used or have a PENN 310GTi Super Level Wind Reel ?? I am looking at one on-line and just not sure about the size, can't tell what is written or from the photo. I was thinking about a reel for another heavy rod/reel combination and using about 80 pound Power Pro line on it. Any comments welcome ........ Garry- :cool2:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sorry bro, i only run garcias...goodluck..rollo

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The basic difference in a 310, 320, and 330 is line capacity and weight.Your decision is in the amopunt of line you need to spol. I hope this is some help. All three reel sizes are good.

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i got a 320gti spooled with 100# power pro good set up but i personaly like abu 7000 with same line p/pro 100# is same diameter as 20# mono :0a26:

5. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    How big of a rod, how big fish, how much weight, and boat/shore fishing?

I have a 320 GT2 w/ 80 lb PowerPro, seems to be plenty of line for fishing with boat. The 330s are pretty big, heavy and hold a ton of line. My friend loves them (he had it for surf fishing originally) but it seems overkill to me.

6. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    The 310gti is a little bigger in overall size than an ABU 7000, the line capacity is about the same though.

7. catfishlarryiowa

catfishlarryiowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have two penn 320 gti that I have used for about 6 years now. I mainly fish the Missouri river an they work great with the big water ugly sticks. That is what I cought the blue in my avitar with using 30#big game line hope this helps you!

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Eric ... I plan on 8' rod, Flathead cats (as big as possible), 4 to 8 oz. lead, and both shore and boat fishing .... Garry- :cool2:

9. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    I have 2 of the 310's and 2 of the 320's. The 310's are my favorite reels. I have them spooled with 80 lb Power Pro, and they hold way more than enough line! I mainly use weights ranging from 4 to 6 ounces. The 310's will cast a little further than the 320's. If my 320's ever go bad, I'll replace them with 310's. I got mine from a friend for $40 each about 2 years ago.

10. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Thank you Chris ... that is the kind of info I am looking for .... you speeled everything to a tee that I will be using .... now if I can catch a fish like you holding in your avatar, I will be happy ........ Garry- ...:wink:

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    One-piece graphite frame with titanium line guide
    Sealed stainless steel ball bearings and an oversized, powerful HT-100 Drag System. Brushed stainless side plate rings add even more strength and durability. Heavy-duty line clicker is built to handle hard use. 320GTi drag systems equal to a 4/0 Senator. Great for trolling, casting, jigging, drift fishing and with downrigger systems. Gear ratio: 310GTi - 4.3:1.

12. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    New to serious big cat fishing, but the Penn 310GTi are the go to reel for many Lake Michigan trollers. Big Kings put them to the torture test. I've had several and they were all bullet proof. Rick

13. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    man by reading this post now i want a penn 310 id buy it its a penn

14. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have 4 310gtis and 6 320gtis and the only major difference is spool size or line capacity. I have all mine spooled with 80lb powerpro and absolutly love them and wouldnt trade them for any other reel on the market. Hands down it is a winch and pull the biggest flatheads out of the heaviest cover in the strongest current.

15. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I want to thank everyone that responded to this post .... you have all been very informative and given me .... I think the answers to all of the questions I have about this reel .... except how to pay for one ....... Thanks Again .... Garry- .... :cool2:

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had a 310gti...It was a good reel, plenty strong with a good drag...But it just could not match up with my abu 7000's in castability, so I sold it.

17. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    i think they hit it ,line capacity thats about it ive fished 15 years with penn reels and have had only one complaint ok maybe two the bigger the weight you use the faster it will get sloppy. i take my reals to riches rod repair in new athens il about 45 min east of st louis does awsome work.second ive only had it once but when its your fish of a life time,the drag sucks , either you lock it down and reel,or the fish runs no smoothness we are talking 85 lbs in 40 foot of water runnin fast it was scary

18. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I really like the 310 gti I would probably go so far as to say that it's my favorite reel and I have both Penn's and Abu's. Abu's do cast smoother but a little practice with the Penn and you can cast it just as good.

19. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    You could even try out the classic Penn 309 levelwind for a rock solid reel that holds tons of line.... Going for between 35-50.00 on Ebay.