Penn 310 GTI

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Itch2Scratch, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Do any of my Brothers out there own a Penn 310 GTI and can tell me about that reel? I decided I want something somewhat bigger than my regular baitcasters but not as big as say the 320 GTI. Hows the drag on this reel and does it have a non-disengaging level wind like my other baitcasters? How does it cast? I Looked at the Okumas but I have not read to much positive on here about them. Thanks in advance for all help.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a 310 GTI...It is a good powerfull reel with a great drag..Only thing it lacks is casting distance, if your cast are 40 yds and under it will do fine!

3. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Thanks for the input Jack..but now ya got me worried as I am a shorebound angler. Is it because the reel is smaller with less line or just the casting ability of Penn?

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I have one 310gti and would buy more. I personally can cast a 310 gti about 60 to 70 yards. A lot will be on what type of rod and what lb line you use. I have mine on a med action tiger rod with 20 pound test. I have the same rod with the same lb test with a 6500 abu I get only about 10 to 15 more yards when casting. Overall I like the stronger drag and louder clicker compared to a 6500 or 7000 abu and don't feel like I'm losing too much distance.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I own 2 of the 321GTI L/H retrieve. If they made the 310 in L/H retrieve I know where my tax refund would be goin. LOL!

6. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Thanks George and Chris, where I fish here on Lake of the Ozarks, the old channel runs in front of me on my side of the lake. I just like being able to spread my baits up and down the channel. I will probably be using 20lb Big game or 50lb Power Pro on that reel and it will be on one of my Quantum Big Cats. I tried longer rods but due to a shoulder injury and the torque associated with long rods and heavy weights, I gave that up. Thanks again for your input...gotta love BOC. :D