Penn 310 gti problem, please help !

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by anakin, Jul 7, 2006.

1. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Just got my new tiger sticks & penn 310 gti, first reel spooled up with 80 lb braid with no problem, but the second reel is giving me probs, seems like when im trying to reel the line in, the handle doesnt seem to be catching the spool properly , it keeps jumping (best way i can describe it) & not reeling in properly. If you guys know whats causing & its an easy fix great ! I dont mind doing it. f you think the reel is having other serious probs & i wont be able to fix it let me know...

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Could be a defect problem, might want to take it back and exchange it with a good one

3. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    sounds like u might should take it back or send it to the maker (penn) and c they can fix it or give u a new one.i had an abu 6500 that u could not ajust the drag on and i sent it back and got a new one.

4. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Wrote an email to cust support at catfish connection letting them know of the issue. I hope its not going to be a hassel & hope that i dont have to spend anymore money for shipping of the product.

After reading all the discussions about how hardcore Penn reels are , i was really disappointed to find I was having probs with one. I guess as the saying goes, "$#!% happens"

On the plus side, took the other rod & reel that had no probs to the park & was casting like a pro after one slight baby birds nest that took me less then a min to fix. Took me just a sec to realize Penns require slightly more thumbing then abus with the brake all the way off. Cant wait to hit the river tomorrow !

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I only have a 345 GTI,not a 310.I would try tightening and loosening the Drag several times while attempting to reel at various stages and operating the Eccentric Lever.The drag must be on some to reel.This would eliminate a drag stuck in the open or backed off position.I would also experiment with the Spool Tension Control.This is all that I would know to try in the hope that something is stuck.Check your paperwork to see if they have a Authorized Warranty Service Center near you.Luck,peewee-williams

6. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    my penn 220gto is deffenetly harder to cast than my abu's it takes a little more getting used to but when you do get something on this real WOW!!!! this thing is a super Winch

7. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Penns are much harder to cast than Abus, but i think that they are more hardcore over all though.

I think that Peewee gave you the best advice. If that doesnt work you may have a stripped drag, which isnt pretty. I had that happen on one of my bass reels and it is a pain in the butt when you try to catch anything that wants to take drag out. If this is the case I would send it back to where you got it and exchange it.

8. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Trevor I'm with you on the Penn 220 GTO. I just got one 2 weeks ago. It was a toss up for me between it and the Abu 7000. The $20 difference in the price at Bass Pro made up my mind. The Penn is one hoss of a reel. I also believe the clicker is better on the Penn.

whatever it takes

Cheez

9. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    I wasnt able to find out what was wrong. I contacted Catfish Connection & told them about the issue. They were going to transfer me to a repair guy & see if he could fix it over the phone. I guess upon explaining to him what the issue was, he told the cust service rep to just have me send it back in for replacement. From what i was describing, it couldnt be fixed over the phone.

On a side note, since i had ordered two 310's/ugly tigers (one for me & one for my girl). I was able to try out the one that wasnt having any issues on my most recent fishing trip. All I have to say is that although i didnt pull in any monsters with it yet, im very impressed with the combo. I own a 6500 cl3/uglycat combo as well, & this combo blows it out of the water. I am now a self proclaimed Penn guy.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Thanks for the update.Please continue to keep us up on this.We all teach and we are all students on here.There is a unbelievable amount of knowledge among us all.I have learned a lot among the disagreements on here.peewee-williams

11. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I gotta agree with Peewe on the learning on this board. I have learned more and have become a much better fisherman overall from the information here.
    Dwaine, you won't have any trouble with the folks at Catfish Connection. They are as solid and dependable as they come. I wish everyone on the board here would use them and find out just how service oriented they are.
    Just my 2 cents worth

whatever it takes

Cheez

12. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    CC just called me back & says that they cant find anything wrong with the reel i shipped back. I let him know the prob was only noticable after I started spooling the reel with some line. Which they said they had not tried. They just tried reeling it in with his thumb on the spool to apply a lil pressure & didnt see any probs with it. Very strange, i really hope they dont try to send me back the same reel...

13. Anguluva

Anguluva New Member

State:
    Sri Lanka
    I noticed some mention of Penns being harder to cast than the Abus in this thread. The Penn GT series of reels are great boat reels and were not made for casting, though they could be cast if the need arizes, but, they are not 'casters'. The Ambassadeurs on the other hand are made for casting hence they are easier to cast and will cast longer distances.
    The 'casting' Penn reels are the 'GS' series and the 'International Baitcasting' reels.