Penn 309

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catfish kenny, Jan 17, 2008.

1. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well some of you know I lost a high doller r/r the other day and I am on the road to recouping my losses and washing the mudd off of my face.
    I have this buddy that likes to come sell me r/r when he is hurting and I had to snag this one up.He used it one summer ...Penn 309 level wind,It was on a 7ft firecast heavy action snagging rod.....I give less than 1/2 price so.....I think I got a great deal.
    I havnt used penn reels so I dont know if I am gonna like it or not.It has 3-1 gear ratio and I like the 4-1

2. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Kenny,
    Sounds like you got a great deal. They are good reels except for the slow retrieve. Im like you, my preference is the lower gear ratio for a faster retrieve. But im sure after you use it and get used to it, it will be ok. Penn makes a good reel and are very hard to beat for there longevity. rspd507

3. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    You'll like the Penn reel, they are tough & very repairable. They are very popular for H/D saltwater use here.

Although the newer ones are made in China, they are still pretty good.

Good luck with your new purchase :wink:

4. catfishlarryiowa

catfishlarryiowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hi kenny i have 2 that i have had for 10 years now.the only thing that i had a problem with was the pawl & wormgear. but on the positive side they are cheep & easy to replace. also i used these for snaging which is very rough on them. hope this helps you.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Penn 309s are the premium reels for snagging here in Arkansas, from what I've seen. One local bait shop even carries a 12v electric retrieve add-on for the 309 that's popular with the snaggers, because most of their time is spent reeling in for another cast. The electric retrieve cuts way down on that, and lets them get in more casts.

6. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Someone gave me one of those 309s, it's so big and heavy I've thought of bolting it on my Dodge for a wench! primitive

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yeah, but when you're fishing from the bank below these dams on the Arkansas, 50# test line is almost considered ultralight. I've seen guys with a Penn 309 fully loaded with 50# test mono get spooled below Dardanelle. You gotta match the equipment to the conditions and the size of the fish.

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a Penn 309 level wind on a 7' Roddy Gator Tail rod topped with about 400 yrds. of 30# big Game. I believe I could catch any fish that swims on that one.:cool2:

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Primitive this is a winch the other one is fir fishin....:wink:
    I got this one from my unc but I dont use it its a trolling reel and casting it is next to impossible without untangling your line

Attached Files:

10. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Oh and by the way fellas Thank you for your input.APPRECIATE IT!

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    When I use to fish for spoonbills, I used 309s. When you find a reel that will hold up to snagging, as the 309 does, you have a great reel. Its a work horse.

12. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have a couple 309's and really like them,couldn't find a better boat reel.They don't cast as well as the abu's and I need a thumb protector when casting them as they will burn your thumb with that big heavy spool and a lot of line.I
    like the slow gear as it makes it easier to fight a big fish.
    Jake

13. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    I think that will be a good reel, I never used one, but i did have a 209 for a season, they pull like a tractor:smile2:

14. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    If your line & tackle holds up, You'll have one to take a pic of that's for sure:wink:. I've got several 209's & 309's. I can't cast'em either but I drop 'em straight down off the boat.........and wait to hear the music of the clicker going off:big_smile: FISH-ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come home to daddy :smile2::smile2::smile2:

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The 309s are definitely harder to cast than a lot of other reels, but an experienced caster can get good distance with them. I've seen a few guys hit the #12 opening at Dardanelle, which is at least 100 yards from the bank. That's using a 14'-15' special built river rod, though.