Penn 309

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by TRP1, Aug 3, 2007.

1. TRP1

TRP1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just picked up a nice used Penn 309. Looks to be a well built reel. Any folks here have any experence with these?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The Penn 309 is a slow speed, large line capacity reel. It is a work horse. Several years ago I used the 309 as a snagging reel. Never had a problem and the largest it pulled to the bank was 72#.:smile2:

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Check the inside for cleanliness and Lube.Most are used in saltwater.Often someone will just clean up the outside real well to sell it.Also the old Type Penn grease would harden with age and hard grease don;t lubricate properly.Great Heavy Fresh and medium Saltwater rig.Go on line to :::www.pennparts.com ::: Check out all of the site real well and you will be a "Inland Penn expert".You can even download a "Reel Manual" for your model reel if you don;t have one.This reel does not have internal casting aids,but kids and us cripples have cast them for years.Have at it and the best of luck.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

used the 209's and 309's my whole life they have been great to me once you get used to it you can cast them any place you want them to be.

5. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I bought one 4 or 5 years ago never used it. Maybe I'd better break it out & use it sometime.:0a23:

6. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    these things are built great. i have 2 309's and 2 209's. my only prob with these reels is the retrieve is so slow. i bank fish mostly in very deep water sometimes having to cast 75 yards or more and these things will wear you out reeling your line back in. i believe i am gonna replace them with a couple okuma convectors.

7. TRP1

TRP1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Got to use it today. Worked great! Was able to cast a long distance and no birds nest at all