Penn 309

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by lobo, Jan 14, 2007.

1. lobo

lobo New Member

State:
    ks
    would like information about penn 309 reel .had one given to me

2. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    most of my reels are 309's...I love them. What do you need to know.

3. lobo

lobo New Member

State:
    ks
    just got into cat fishing wondering if this reel would be good for flats

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    The gear ratio was a little too low for me. They will winch in the fish though but if you make alot of long casts it gets to wearing ya out. I dont know why they put an ajustment on the levelwind but make sure all the bells and whistles are ajusted right or it wount last as long.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Its a good reel, will cast as far and long as a 209 with the right weight and line set up. Large line capacity and very durable. Its heavy if you cast a lot, but should handle anything out there you'll encounter short of a 150 lb gator gar. Put it on a 10-12 foot stick and you've got a great set up for fishing tail races of dams. The gear ratio is low, but that's a two edged sword. On the one hand, it takes time to reel in the line, on the other, its a small winch if you have a big fish on the line. It takes time to learn to cast, the casting adjustments aren't as fine as on an Abu and you need to learn to use your thumb.

6. lobo

lobo New Member

State:
    ks
    kscathunter i grew in louisburg all i fished then was bass

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    tried to pm you. were do you fish now?

8. lobo

lobo New Member

State:
    ks
    live at lake kahola in between emporia and council groove fish the lake and neosho and cottonwood rivers

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    thats quite a drive my uncle drove to emporia every week for his job he fished those rivers you mentioned and said those were some good water. he grew up here too its possable you two ran into each other some were. Earl Weers (dutchie), Big Big guy use to own the bakers box in town a while back ,dont know when you moved,.

10. lobo

lobo New Member

State:
    ks
    went to school there in the 60s whent to school with some weers ronnie i think

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Im pretty sure their cousins. nice chatting with you good luck with the new reel itll catch those biguns i hear they catch around there. welcome to the BOC.

12. weekendredneck69

weekendredneck69 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    How do you like the reel i have given you bill?

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill Welcome to the BOC. Enjoy that 309 Penn Reel. It will bring in the big ones. That is what I call a bargin.:cool2: :lol:

14. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    been a long time Penn user and can't say anything bad about them. If you set them up properly and take care of them they will work very well. That being said I have been looking into the Abu 6500c3. Maybe its time to see what all the fuss is about.

15. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I've got a couple of 309's, although I mainly use them for saltwater, I do have one set up for freshwater. I put it in my rocket launcher, usually with live bait, it is equipped with a short rod so it doesn't hit the "T" top while setting the hook.

I love to hear the bait clicker go on it, cause you've got the machine to winch 'em in :tounge_out: . I don't know 'bout the newer ones but Penn never made anything but top quality before.