Penn 309

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by tnkatman, Apr 3, 2006.

1. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Can Anyone Give Me Some Advice About A Penn 209 Or 309,i'm Getting A Quantum Big Cat Rod & I Need A Reel, I Have An Abu 6000 On Another Rod & I Like It But I Want A Bigger Reel For This New Rod. I've Never Owned A Penn Reel Are They As Good As An Abu ? Do They Cast As Good As An Abu ? This Combo I'm Getting Is For Casting Not Trolling. Any Suggestions Are Appreciated. Thanks.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Kevin, I have owned and still do own a lot of Penn 309's. And they are awesome reel's and can cast good too. But I can't say that they cast better then a Abu. They are much tougher in my opinion and can cast a good distance if you practice with them enough. They backlash easily. I'm going to say that you should probably go with the Abu for casting purposes.

Good luck, Zakk.:)

3. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i got a 209 i use for flatheads. i like it. probably a little cheaper price wise than a garcia if that matters any. i dont have any trouble casting mine, yeah you'll get some backlashes, but thats the fun of choosing a baitcaster right?

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    If you were wanting a big ole penn that will cact a little better, try the new penn 220 GTO. cat conn has them for 61.40 with s&h

5. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I have the 209M mounted on a 10ft Reflex rod with 80lb fusion and I think it's great. casts very well, good capacity and its like a mini winch.